• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the input, I don't have it OC'd as I never do with a stock HSF because well... it's irresponsible imho.

Hey QI, it's been a while! I'm actually below nominal voltages, 1.30Vcore and 1.10 cpuNb VID. I figured this would lower the temps and it does but very minimally.

I'd say you've got some other issue somewhere. The stock HSF isn't all that great but it's not THAT bad. How's your case airflow? Maybe a bad HSF mount?

Hmmmm, is that CPU socket temp or core temp?
Or are the close to the same with the stock sink?

Hmm, now that you mention it remember I did that H50 mod? Well a while back I had some issues with it and went back to the HSF now I'm not sure if you're farmiliar with the mounting system for the H50 but it involves replacing the original AMD bracket, now of course I kept and reinstalled the old bracket bt kept the H50 back plate.

Now that I'm thinking of it maybe the back plate isn't allowing for enough pressure between the HSF and cpu, some "space" in between. I will investigate this immediately.

UPDATE: Reinstalled the original back plate and the temps are down about 5C thus teaching me a lesson, if part A goes with part B don't try to use Part C.

Last edited:
hi, i just wanted to register to say a big thx to Dolk for this guide, very usefull for my PhenomsII 940 and 1090T
it was a pure war to get a decent oc with the 1090 on AM2+ Asus mobos (all is locked or missing in their bios)....now i have a AM3 MSI 870A fuzion and...all is so simple
merry XMas everyone ;)

hi, i just wanted to register to say a big thx to Dolk for this guide, very usefull for my PhenomsII 940 and 1090T
it was a pure war to get a decent oc with the 1090 on AM2+ Asus mobos (all is locked or missing in their bios)....now i have a AM3 MSI 870A fuzion and...all is so simple
merry XMas everyone ;)

:welcome:

to the forums! Congrats or your OC'n

Merry Christmas!

Yeh dolk, please, quit being only slightly vague on us....

My guess he's either almost done with the rest of his guide, or he's So ready to pounce a pot on a bulldozer he's going bananna's

Awesome job, thanks! I was missing out on increasing NB voltage (instead I was overclocking CPU while lowering nb and memory clocks to keep them close to stock and I was crashing and BSOD'ing.) I'll try it now, thanks!

Finally managed what seems to be a stable OC of my 1090T.

Bus - 200MHz
CPU - 4GHz - 1.44v LLC
NB - 2.8GHz - 1.3v LLC
HT - 2.6GHz
DDR - 1666 MHz 8/8/8/24/32/2T - 1.65v

Has been folding for a few days now with both SMP and GPU client, and completed a 12 hour Prime95 Blend before that. Had a few blue screens along the way, but that was with a lower NB voltage (1.2875v) and lower CPU voltage (1.4v).

My load temps are not too shabby - all on the same loop.
CPU - 55c
Core - 46c
NB - 50c
SB - 42c
GPU - 45c

I am going away for 5 days next week - should I risk leaving it to fold the whole time...

you will be fine gcwebbyuk, just lower your CPU-NB to 1.25v That should be more than enough for 2.8ghz on the CPU-NB.

System:
Antec 300 Case - 2 Front 1 Side Intake fans, 1 Rear 1 Top exhaust fans
Asus Crosshair Formula IV
Kingston Hyperx 1600 16gb (4x4gb) 8-8-8-24 1.65v
Asus Radeon 6970 2Gb (2 in crossfire)
AMD Phenom 1090T 3.8 1.325v
NB 2600 @ 1.19v
HT Link @ 2000
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler Push/Pull fan configuration
Creative X-fi xtreme gamer 5.1 soundcard
Raptor 600gb sata 3 drive
Raptor 300gb sata 2 drive
Silverstone Strider ST1500 PS
Windows 7 64bit
22inch LG 1680x1050 LCD

My AMD Phenom 1090t BE is at 3.8 (used multiplier to OC) 1.325v and 46 degrees C Max
NB @ 2600 1.19V 42 Degrees C MAx
HT Link @ 2000 stock v
Memory at 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v
FSB at 200
All stable with Prime 95 small fft and blend test for over four hours. stopped test myself

Are those settings (CPU, HT , NB etc) and temps maximizing my performance? curious about opinions...

Also should load line calibration be on or off. It is on now and I do see that the volts inside asus pc rpobe and cpuz are different then what I entered in the bios. Shoulkd I shut it off to use the volts I enter or should I not touch it since evrything is running stable?

Thanks a million

:welcome: to the forums.

LLC should be on. You are starting to hit your maximum CPU temp for the CHIP, so pushing for 4.0ghz may be out of your reach. I would try to work on the cooling before pushing for more Hertz.

LLC will pretty allow more volts as needed. If you want to learn more, there are a couple threads I started talking about LLC. Also make sure to update your BIOS to the latest. You can find more information on that in my ASUS BETA BIOS thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Asus PC Probe says 46, Core temp says about 9 degrees cooler, upper 30's. I will not be pushing anymore then 3.8. this is not a 24/7 run, just when gaming. my main concern was the ration of cpu speed 3.8 to nb 2600 to ht 2000. Thanks for the info.:salute:

I am confused by the HTT. my NB is 2600 and you recommend the HTT to be close to that. The HTT is different than the HT-link 2000. On my Asus formula IV I do not see a setting to change the HTT. I believe I saw the comment that the HTT is the FSB which that shows in the bios? How do I make the HTT closer in speed to my NB. This is giving me a headache trying to understand this....

Last edited:
You need to do everything in the BIOS. And remember the HTT is the speed at which the input out put bus runs. The HT is the bus at which everything runs on. It can also be refereed to as the FSB.

HTT will not be in your ASUS software because upping that during OS environment time would cause huge instability.

dude, its in the process of being posted.

And this project will never finish. There will always be something to perfect ;)

Back