• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can AMD K6/2 fit here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrilock

Registered
I have an old mobo with an intell pentium classic 233MHz, socket 7. I was wondering if I could use AMD k6/2 chips in this motherboard, or if I would need a "super socket 7" mobo. I don't know the difference, basically.

I know the AMD K6 will work if the mobo has the right voltage jumpers because I have done that. I'm not sure about the K6-2.

Being an older board (hard jumpers) I would wager that the best you'll get is an underclock to the highest setting on the board. The board should have up to 83mhz. The big question is what is the highest multiplier. Also what are the voltages available and do they satisfy the chips requirements. I can't remember what innovations moved socket 7 to the super category.

JetMech said:
Being an older board (hard jumpers) I would wager that the best you'll get is an underclock to the highest setting on the board. The board should have up to 83mhz. The big question is what is the highest multiplier. Also what are the voltages available and do they satisfy the chips requirements. I can't remember what innovations moved socket 7 to the super category.
super 7 fsb up to 112 stable and 6x multiplier

If the mobo has jumpers for a multiplier of "2", then the logic circuit inside the AMD K6/2 will register as "6". I know this for a fact because I've done it... I have a K6/2 running in an Asus SP-97-V mobo that maxes out at 75MHz FSB, I have it at 75x6 = 450. Though I have a nasty cache problem, the L2 doesn't wanna kick in.

unfortunately, the board seems to be a proprietary Packard-Bell make, and it didn't come with any instruction on the jumpers. :-( It didn't even come with any documentation on how to open the case, far as I could see.
Oh well. Thx anyway.

Don't give up just yet. Get everything out of the way of the motherboard and start looking for jumpers and start reading the silkscreened labels on the board. You might be able to find you multiplier jumpers this way.

Back