• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I make a USB stick 'autorun' ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I'm about to finish my bachelor and for my final report I've got to include an unhealthy amount of appendices. Therefore I thought it would be nice if I included them on a USB stick rather than print them all or burn them on a CD.

My question is..can I make the USB stick prompt a window with text/image upon access, much like the autorun on CD's? I've got to turn it in friday, so time is limited ;)

- Tim

sure. Create an autorun.inf file and populate it with what you want it to do.

always has the [autorun] section
Then you have things like open=something.exe
action=what you want something to show in autorun window

perhaps you would want to use shellexecute=filename.txt (or whatever the extension is for that file) so it would open notepad up but that seems a bit weird for some to have the usb key autorun a file on them. Maybe?

I wouldn't use an autorun usb drive. I assume you're going to turn this in, and it'll be run on a computer that isn't yours. If so, there's a good chance that autorun will be turned off on the foreign computer. Autorun is a security risk, and it's one of the first things I disable when setting up a computer. I'd submit your data on a cd.

Back