• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making Floppies Bootable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Alright, i have two zip files that contain disks 1 and 2 of DOS5.0 that i found on my comp. If i put the files in the zips onto a disk, it's not bootable, and i need it to be bootable in order to install DOS5.

I've heard somehting about making the floppy an active partition, but i have no clue what that means.

Is there some little util that'll make it bootable? I'm guessing that's the easiest way.

Believe you can get those disks at BootDisk.com. The executables will write to the disk for you.

If they don't have them, they do have WinImage which is a shareware program that allows you to raw write images to disk. That should work for you and those files.

Normally just copying the boot files to a floppy will work...it's all I've ever had to do to make an NT boot disk.

That's odd.... Well, make sure that these files are on the disk (they're the ones when I SYS the A drive)

Command.com
IO.sys
MSDOS.sys

As long as those files are there, it should be a bootable disk.

JigPu

PhoenixMDM said:
Alright, i have two zip files that contain disks 1 and 2 of DOS5.0 that i found on my comp. If i put the files in the zips onto a disk, it's not bootable, and i need it to be bootable in order to install DOS5.

I've heard somehting about making the floppy an active partition, but i have no clue what that means.

Is there some little util that'll make it bootable? I'm guessing that's the easiest way.

JigPu said:
That's odd.... Well, make sure that these files are on the disk (they're the ones when I SYS the A drive)

Command.com
IO.sys
MSDOS.sys

As long as those files are there, it should be a bootable disk.

JigPu

The files JigPu mentions are hidden, if your using windows make sure you have view hidden/system files checked.

*edit* All that effort for that Toshiba. :D

Hey, that Toshiba's got a massive 2 gig drive now!! :p

Actually, it's cause it's the only system i got my hands on so far that dosn't have SCSI take over the whole thing. I wanna be able to use my pair of 1x SCSI-1 cd drives! :D

And JigPu, what do you mean by SYS the A drive? I'm definitely not a big DOS person, so i'm not surprised i have no clue what ur saying...

Back