• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jab-Tech vs. Petras low speed yates.... a deep look.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have gotten about 5 Loonies from the MicroCenter. Minus the date code (806.) They are identical to Jabtech's store offerings of the same model.

The only pertinent info is that, they came in a branded Swiftech staple bag. It was in the water cooling section. Not in the fan display. I had to dig for them. Once I found out MicroCenter carried the models I liked.

I have an unused fan. If need be. I will hammer it apart. To show the guts. I think other images could happen. If the OP (also staff and/or vendor) asks.

Just to throw another monkey wrench in here. I have 120mm low speed yates that I ordered from Jab a week or so ago. These however are of the orange variety.

So, there are clearly a few differences. It appears to be the 30mm motor These were made a little over a year ago, so I'm not sure if thats what constitutes the change, but another thing that I thought was odd is that the blade shape seems to be different. These are straighter on the trailing edge and appear to be sharper all around. I, unfortunately, don't have any noise comparisons as I don't even have my system up yet.

Also note, I ruined the fan :p. haha

this fan has the old blade style design... the straight blade design... not really comparing apples to apples there. but thnx for the info. I think if i remember correctly june ish of 2006... so almost 3 years ago i bought 7 straight blade closed cornered yates from JT... all have normal size 30mm motors.

It could also be that Yate Loon themselves make a cheaper line and a more expensive line of the same model fan too. After all, Yate Loon isn't in the retail fan business but rather builds to order. And that can mean different motors and less expensive impeller designs like you have noted here. Yate Loon wouldn't be the only fan maker that builds to suit custom specifications. You can also find fans built to custom specs from Delta, Panasonic and Sanyo Denki (and I imagine most other fan manufacturers).

BTW, excellent job on the comparison, nd4spdbh2. You were objective in your comparisons and backed them up with facts and proof (the pictures).

this could very well be the case... yate loon could offer cheaper versions of the same fan, with crappier manufacturing processes and a cheaper motor... IMO tho the extra 1.40 per fan is worth it.

i know this thread is old but i just finished redoing the tubing in my loop and looked at the yates i got from jabtech about 6 months or so ago.

they appear to be the better quality ones.

img0155ajc.jpg

img0156.jpg

img0157f.jpg

img0158w.jpg

yup those sure are better quality... a bigger motor with filtering caps, gussets on the top side of the fan, and a good fan housing.

I guess next time I order fans I might see about getting a blue led Yate from Petra's and compare it to the ones I got from Jab-tech around a year ago and see if the led versions have different motors too. Not that I find the ones I bought from Jab-tech to be noisy or anything. But then I don't run them off a fan controller either as I bought mostly the low speed versions which are pretty quiet. But curiosity is biting me. ;)

ya when the fans are ran at 12v the noise differences arnt going to be as noticable... but when your running them at 5v or sub 5v the difference make a BIG difference.

i know this thread is old but i just finished redoing the tubing in my loop and looked at the yates i got from jabtech about 6 months or so ago.

they appear to be the better quality ones.

img0155ajc.jpg

img0156.jpg

img0157f.jpg

img0158w.jpg

High Speed all have big motor, Straight Blade all have big motor (orange/black) We can't decipher wtf YL is doing and I haven't had time to harrass them (yet).

High Speed all have big motor, Straight Blade all have big motor (orange/black) We can't decipher wtf YL is doing and I haven't had time to harrass them (yet).

what ever it is or how ever ur getting the fans your gettin some cheap ones thats for sure... i wont be usin even these better small motor slows in any comp that is noise sensitive...

well jabtechs yates cost a $2 or $3 less then petras.

if your going with eco fans then why not the cheapest price?

then again my only complaint with jabtech is shipping. petras seems to always beat jab for shipping.

Not so depending on where you live.

Petras is an ARM AND A LEG for me. I bought from Jab-Tech because he's the only guy doing water cooling who isn't on one of the coasts. (And because John is cool as hell ;) )

Being in the midwest, Petras was talking a MINIMUM of ten dollars on just about anything I could think of ordering. One yate loon? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING. A bottle of PT Nuke? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING. 75 cents worth of fan screws? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING.

Then it just got ridiculous once you started thinking about pumps and reservoirs... ("FIFTEEN dollars shipping... TWENTY dollars shipping...")

Unless I decide to completely remake my entire loop in Barney Fife's image I won't be getting anything from Petra's anytime soon...

petras shipping is usually pretty good for me even on bigger orders...

either way im not buying jt low speeds any more.

Anyone know where I can get some yate loon fans that operate at the high speed rotation but also have white leds? I need to make sure that they're actually "good". yesbuy apparently has some.

Being in the midwest, Petras was talking a MINIMUM of ten dollars on just about anything I could think of ordering. One yate loon? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING. A bottle of PT Nuke? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING. 75 cents worth of fan screws? TEN DOLLARS SHIPPING.

Then it just got ridiculous once you started thinking about pumps and reservoirs... ("FIFTEEN dollars shipping... TWENTY dollars shipping...")

Unless I decide to completely remake my entire loop in Barney Fife's image I won't be getting anything from Petra's anytime soon...

Maybe you missed something Mr. New York State of Mind. :)

At any rate... even SEVEN dollars is ridiculous.

Well even with midwest Arizona 85022 zipcode (I chose a random midwest zipcode, there's too many to list) the shipping prices are still the same to this one midwest code.

$7 or not it does not cost $10 to ship one pt nuke, one YL fan, or one .75 cents bag of screws throught USPS or UPS economical choices (non 3 day to next day options). Therefore it does not cost $10 to ship one item you listed

Maybe it costs more to ship to specific zips but you gotta say which one

Last edited:
Well even with Arizona 85022 zipcode the shipping prices are still the same :p

$7 or not it does not cost $10 to ship one pt nuke, one YL fan, or one .75 cents bag of screws which was your original statement

I was rounding up. Your point? :)

Anyone know where I can get some yate loon fans that operate at the high speed rotation but also have white leds? I need to make sure that they're actually "good". yesbuy apparently has some.

vapor @ XS says the LED yates perform worse than normal opaque yates do
the difference is probably so small that its near unnoticeable.. this JT vs petra could reflect that small difference

I was rounding up. Your point? :)

Not $10 shipping from what I see is my point from the 3 items you listed from Petras :p

Hell I'm not advocating for just one company, I like J-T's $4.95 for one item shipping.

Anyways back on topic.

Anyone here with a medium speed fan to crack open :D

Back