• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 x64 compatible Ram Disk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimoneX

Closet Elitist Member
As the title. I can't seem to find a decent proggie that works with 7 x64. Hoping someone's done some legwork here. Yes I am lazy, I did google it though...many times in many ways. I tried a few different proggies, but most wouldn't install, the couple that did(old) wouldn't function.

From what I can tell, that just mounts drives, that isn't what he is looking for.
If I'm not mistaking ram drive software is slowly being fazed out with Image drive, Nero had ram drive in this software but that too been replaced with Image drive.
I could be wrong, unless you want to take some of your ram and make a ram drive. batch file script will do that.

I could be wrong, unless you want to take some of your ram and make a ram drive. batch file script will do that.
There is no Windows built in one. Well, there is, but you wouldn't be able to store anything worthwhile on it.

Your looking for software to take certian amout of disk to = ram right. Image drive does that too. PowerISO I hear work. Like your virtual memory.

Yeah I'm already running elaborate byte's clonedrive.

I know they're not as popular as they once were, but I sill want one to fiddle with. Ramdisk plus works for vista x64, but refuses to install under 7 unfortunately. I'd rather not mess with dos scripts, but I guess if that's the only option...

Thanx for the input guys. At least firefox makes it easy to move it's cache to ram.

Its called shadowcopy service same thing as way back the dos command of shadow
Unless I'm misunderstanding what the OP wants, that just makes a copy of files so that you can back them up; that isn't what he wants.

EDIT: According to the first post, he wants a RAM drive. From what you guys are talking about, you want a virtual drive to mount images?

Just want to mention I too am having some install issues with window7 and image/ram drive software

Nope not yet. My intent is simply to decrease the number of small file writes to an inexpensive SSD array by caching more data to ram. I've run through and disabled indexing service, defragging, set pagefile to 200 initial and max, and initially I disabled superfetch and cleared the cache, but it didn't seem to hurt anything to have it on, so I set it to fetching only boot files. As I said I moved FF's cache to ram and things are pretty smooth. At this point I think it's just a tinkerfest, but it's a ridiculously cold snowy day in MI and well...this is *THE* thing to be doing just now. :)

the good old days when it was easy
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
anyways theres some good information and codes/scripts available that may be just what your looking for. Search for virtual memory scripts/c++codes MS is offering a suite of stuff that can make your programing of this easy.
I'm in the same vote waiting for winter to end to get back to work.

I dunno I recall some pretty annoying fights with software whilst trying to free up enough of that precious 640k to get a program to run. The good old days weren't always good. Don't miss DOS much.

Thanks, I'll look around! :beer:

Unfortunately none of them seem to be compatible with WIN7 x64. I'll keep fiddling with them.

I increased the NTFS filesystem cache and it seems to be using ALL available memory effectively now. This is all I was really looking for. Thanx for the input guys!

As the title. I can't seem to find a decent proggie that works with 7 x64. Hoping someone's done some legwork here. Yes I am lazy, I did google it though...many times in many ways. I tried a few different proggies, but most wouldn't install, the couple that did(old) wouldn't function.

http://members.fortunecity.com/ramdisk/RAMDisk/ramdiskent.htm

Works on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64

The program costs, though I am not sure if it is 1 set price (it is listed as forced donation, with implied cost, and I dont know if you can donate less). I figure it is worth the price (12$ suggested for 64bit no support, 25$ suggested for 64bit with support and free updates) because of all the tools and functionality it comes with. It is loaded as a driver/service, so you get the ram drive before windows logs in or creates/uses swap file.

I personally use it for my page file, so that windows is using my physical ram whether it wants to or not :) Since once you have 4GB or more, you can easily allocate 1-2GB to ram drive, and have a page file sitting on ram drive.

RMSe17

Back