• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infra red power on/off button?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCTroll

Registered
Yes, thats what I want to do. Has anybody done it before? Does somebody can direct me to right direction?

Afraid I don't quite understand. You want it so when you wave your hand in front of the case it shuts down or powers on? Could be hazardous to your gaming if you have pets or keep the case under your desk, nothing like playing CS and getting fragged because your dog walked in front of your case.

If your going for a simply lit power button. Shouldn't be too hard to do, find a translucent or clear piece of plastic and shape it down to fit in place of your old power button and have a red LED placed close to the button.

~Vash~

No no noooo, thats not the way.....get fragged cause dog shut down pc:D
I mean here like remote control, like tv's have. You have tv you have remote control. You push the power button from remote control and system starts booting, you push the button again system shuts down. I know you can make more functions, but if I could get it working this way...which I belive is most easy way to go. Altought I have no tv to broke up and take the complete circuit from there...and I really doubt if you can use it in pc.
I hope you got me know.

I dont have a clue how you could do this. But i hope you figure it out. Sounds like a pretty cool idea. You could have the drives opperated by remote control! And It would be sweet if you could use it to control a DVD in your comp too! Maybe i am just dreamin but who cares. Good luck

Radioshack ahs some IR kits that allow you to turn things on an off with a remote. This wouldn't be very hard to do. You could mount the receiving LED in a drive bay, or maybe even the regular power light area. The only problem might be the range and angle at which you could actualy get it to turn on.

Oh thx, very usefull links :)
Awesome, just what I am looking for

You can buy a keychain power remote for your system, which comes with a little jingle you put on the ATX power connector and has a extendo wire dealy which comes out the back of your system, like a car radio wire(but it doesn't push itself up). Sorry, but my word-remembering section of my brain is currently out of service :p

Back