• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RivaTuner Fan Speed Adjustment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

I'm looking for a way to set the minimum fan speed for a Nvidia gpu, using the latest version of RivaTuner.

I see settings all over for RivaTuner for setting the fan duty cycle, which I'm using now, (that is, one for the board itself, and one setting for fan duty cycle for the driver), but is there another setting just for fan speed?

The "Power User" section is somewhat of a wash because clicking many of the help book icons, just brings up the message "file not found".

driver settings (forceware detected), customize, system settings, fan tab, select direct control, move slider, check apply at startup, save, OK.

I think he's talking about letting it automatically control fan speed, and he just wants to increase the "standard" fan speed so it would never drop below a certain percentage?

Or am I way off?

driver settings (forceware detected), customize, system settings, fan tab, select direct control, move slider, check apply at startup, save, OK.

That's exactly what I did, but it adjusts the fan duty cycle directly, not the fan speed. So I'm wondering if the fan speed can only be set indirectly, by adjusting the fan duty cycle?

*CW823, yes, sort of. I'd like a somewhat faster fan speed all through the auto control program, so the fan is giving me more cooling all the time.

Right now, if I leave it on auto control, the card gets up to 78-80 degrees, C.
I want that temp lowered down into the 70-75 C range.

The direct control is fine, but it is dumb as dirt. The auto control program is the way to go, but it's just set too low imo.

I'll slide on over to that website, JS.

Thanks, all.

direct control sucks, set up dynamic fan speed, all my nv cards since g92 do it, idle 35%-40% depending what i want to hear and hit 100% at 60c, and its gradual increase/decrease works flawlessly.

direct control sucks, set up dynamic fan speed, all my nv cards since g92 do it, idle 35%-40% depending what i want to hear and hit 100% at 60c, and its gradual increase/decrease works flawlessly.

Some people (including myself and the OP) have problems with the dynamic speed. Mine (on a PNY 9800GT 1GB) stays at 40% and goes up to 80c, where it will usually EUE. My EVGA 8800GS 384MB seems to control just fine and doesn't usually go over 65c.

When you're folding you have a constant, or nearly so, load on the GPU. As a result, there is very little need to have anything but one setting. The fan is going to have to run at the same speed constantly to maintain a given temperature so the end result will be the same on auto as it would be in direct control. Setting the duty cycle in RivaTuner directly sets the fan rpm. 90% duty cycle runs the fan at 90% max rpm, 80% duty cycle runs the fan at 80% max rpm....

Back