• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 or e8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asphalizo

Registered
So I'm fixin' to build a C2D machine for Gaming/Graphic Design. I'm just getting into the whole overclocking thing but I've been lurking on here for a while. I wanna hit 4ghz so I wonder if I should get the e8400 or the e8500. This is what I'll be doing with the processor...

Gaming:
Source Engine games (Half-life 2, Left 4 Dead, etc...)
Unreal Tournament 3

Graphic Design:
Adobe CS3 Suite (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)

I'll be pairing it with either the Asus P5Q-E or the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo.
I'll be cooling with air in a P160 case with a Zalman 9500 CPU cooler.

So should I get the 8500 or will the 8400 suffice?

So I'm fixin' to build a C2D machine for Gaming/Graphic Design. I'm just getting into the whole overclocking thing but I've been lurking on here for a while. I wanna hit 4ghz so I wonder if I should get the e8400 or the e8500. This is what I'll be doing with the processor...

Gaming:
Source Engine games (Half-life 2, Left 4 Dead, etc...)
Unreal Tournament 3

Graphic Design:
Adobe CS3 Suite (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)

I'll be pairing it with either the Asus P5Q-E or the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo.
I'll be cooling with air in a P160 case with a Zalman 9500 CPU cooler.

So should I get the 8500 or will the 8400 suffice?

4GHz should be relatively easy for either device. More important, make sure you get an E0 stepping. I bought an E8400 for $162 locally because I could verify E0. An E8500 is $188 at Newegg and would have been tempting if I could have been guaranteed an E0. There are C0 E8400s and E8500s. These are less desirable.

If 4G is all you want, save the $26. I was going for 4.5G and so I probably would have spent the $26. In any case, it looks like my E8400 E0 is good for 4.4G. This chip almost does 4G at stock voltage.

BTW, I'm very happy with the Gigabyte board. It can be had for $120 after rebate.

-Mike

wouldnt matter which one to get as long as they are E0 stepping's. both would have the same chance of hitting 4ghz.

it doesnt matter they both will bit 4.5+ easily if they are E0 , just make sure when you buy to look for SLB9J or something like that with a 9 in it..

Back