• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Few. The Proud. The Geeks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
My Dremel is one of my new favorite toys, second only to my 3" hole saw.

I recently started ripping my case to bits, and adding fans. How far did my fan obsession go? Maybe this picture will illustrate!

For the record, that's an Antec 300W power supply with an added intake fan. Pulls case air into the power supply, and lets the exhaust fan pull it out. I also chopped up my case and replaced the case fan holes with fan grills. Now I need to chop a few holes in my case panels and top for some intakes and exhausts. And I need to mod my front bezel to allow air to be pulled in by the front fans.

I also had to mod the case panel rails. My case makes you have to slide your case panels all the way back to take them off. Makes it mighty hard to put fans into the case walls that way. So I cut the rail to allow the panel to slide back only an inch or to before coming off. Makes it much easier.

impressive!!!!

but only a single 102mm? I see room on the top there for at least one more!

well did u 7v mod that fan? cuz on my antec 300w, the ex fan is very low cfm.. so you might cause neg pressure... IMO
altho i could be wrong.. but isn't always that your ext. fan should big higher in cfm then the intake? thats what ive been told..

and if you wanted.. you could mod a fan on the bottom to take more air in.. but that may cause even more neg pressure.. i guess it just depeneds on where the psu is in the case..

That's an 80MM fan. I have a 3.5" drive cage that sits above the PSU, so I couldn't stick a fan there. I left the fan at 12V, so yeah, it's probably creating negative pressure. but I've never really understood negative and positive air pressure and the effects it has on cooling, so I'm not really worried about it.

I was thinking 'bout doing that. I haven't seen many PS's that have a high cfm fan. Nice job! Pos and neg pressure is simple. Sa you got a box, pump 100cfm of air in it. Positive pressure. Pump 200 cfm out an 100 in , negative. I think, maybe, could be, yep!:beer:

Looks good: I put an 80 on the bottom of one of my generic psus (weird setup- the back has no flow but the bottom is open!) right above the cpu: psu is cooler and so was the case (side is off now, full time)

As far as the old pressue bit goes: I've seen many reasons for both positive and negative pressure ventilation, but I always get better cooling results with my case slightly negative. I do get a lot of dust and junk building up though.

The best argument I've seen for positive (more in than out) is that if you use filters on your intakes, it helps keep dust out of the case.

Adding the fan to the PSU is a nice mod! Did that to mine and droped my case temp about 7 deg C.

TJ9 said:
Adding the fan to the PSU is a nice mod! Did that to mine and droped my case temp about 7 deg C.

FOr all the fans I've added to my case, I don't get a change in temps. But I blame that on the fact that I don't have any case panels on. It's open to the world. I just need to mod the case panels to add some fans, then I'll start sticking them on.

Wa11y said:

First PS I've seen with two fans!

eaven the enermax?
iv seen a few of these like 2....
i guess its not all that common?
and i opened mine up and the dezine is great!
the sinks are in like a T arangement
it goes up then splits into 2 rite at the top with the fins, and the one fans blows on it and the other sucks off it! its actually really good!

Wa11y, I am shocked.

When I went looking for a new PSU, 3 out of 5 had 2 fans. Even the cheesy h.e.c. Herolchi Electronics Co. ltd. #HEC-350LD-T that I am using on test systems has 2.... AND is surprisingly quiet.

Its all good..:cool:

Arkamedies said:
Wa11y, I am shocked.

When I went looking for a new PSU, 3 out of 5 had 2 fans. Even the cheesy h.e.c. Herolchi Electronics Co. ltd. #HEC-350LD-T that I am using on test systems has 2.... AND is surprisingly quiet.

Its all good..:cool:

Well...blah. Shows what I know. One thing I noticed is that my power supply is rather warm right now. Probably would be a bad thing to put the case walls on it right now. I may have to swap out the back fan as well, to have the same amount of air blowing in as out.

Back