• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you upgrade your vid card for games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you upgrade your vid card for games?

• Every year

Votes: 129 26.8%
  • Every 2-3 years

Votes: 254 52.7%
  • Every 3-5 years

Votes: 99 20.5%
  • Less than $200

Votes: 68 14.1%
  • Between $200-$300

Votes: 120 24.9%
  • Between $300-$400

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • Over $400

Votes: 40 8.3%

• Total voters
Awww, theres no "whenever a new ones come out"?

Checked off once a year, though it's more like whenever a faster one is released and increases performance enough to warrant the price of two of them. (maybe three...or four?)

Yeah I should of added that one. Thought of it after I posted, don't think I can edit it.

Haven't upgraded yet, but I will hopefully in 2013, so from 2004 until 2013...9 years? I guess it's not really an upgrade, more like a new system build. I dunno why you would upgrade your system after 3+ years, and not just update/build a new one.

Since I'm watercooled I also consider waterblocks before I hit the purchase button.

i've only ever upgraded once since i bought my computer from a 7600GT to a 4850. big arse jump i tell you. sold my 7600GT for $50 like 4 months ago. i ripped someone off or what :p.

i'm in Australia, so i just picked under $200 cos a 4850's around that price.

I just dont believe that it is worth spending sooooo much money on a graphics card just for games. I just bought a mainstream card (4850) that i thought would last me a while untill i do upgrade it.

Awww, There isn't an option for $0 dollars. :D

Last time i bought a video card was just about less than 2 years ago. Grabbed a 7800GS. Then my dad upgraded to a GTX 260 less than a year ago ( when they cost about $325 each on Newegg ), and gave me his 2 7900GT's. Then for christmas, I got 2 8800GT's.

My last 2 upgrades were free, and all within a year. :D Not to shabby huh?

though, My next upgrade will probably be a GTX 280, or a 4870. Haven't decided yet. But it will be a few months before i can do that anyways. So by then, who knows what I'll be buying.

But I guess I'll vote on my SPENDING habits, and discount my freebies.

Every 2 years, and less than $200.

I tended to be every year for a while, then i became a lot more mobile being a contract worker so I do most of my gaming on my laptop (7900gtx) and it does fine by me.
I still have my desktop with an 8800gts (640 meg) and it will probably stay that way until I absolutely *have* to upgrade since I have it under water and its sitting on a full water block. I would be more likely to upgrade if there was an nvidia card with the same holes so I could move the water block. I dont see that happening so it will just stay under water until I cant do anything I want anymore
Normally spend in the $200-300 range, sometimes I splurge and hit the $300-400 range

Usually three cards per rig lifetime (4years). But sometimes more. :D
Umm, last year was five.. Do I have a problem?

Last edited:
I upgrade every 2-3 years, with the average closer to 2. I typically spend right around $300 so I did not pick a dollar range - sometimes I go just under $300 and sometimes just over.

My last purchase was the 9800GX2 about 8 months ago for $295-ish.

GPU upgrade=>
1)There comes a game that I really want to play and my current card cannot handle it
2)I have $200 to spend +-50 depending on situation

Usually upgrade about every year to 18 months. Or when I get a new game I love and need more FPS.

About 200-300 for my upgrades.

Started with: 6600GT in SLI > 7900GT > 3870 > 4870 now. Will probably be looking for something this summer. Probably a 4870X2 or a GTX295

You managed to select break points exactly where they create a dilemma in choice for me.

As far as time between upgrades, I would have chosen exactly 3 years. So I went with 2-3 instead of 3-5. As for how much I spend, I would have chosen exactly $200. A few years ago, I would have probably chosen the "less than $200," but since the price of everything is increasing, I went with the $200 - $300 box.

The interesting thing is that I bought an EVGA 8800GT SC from Dell as soon as it got to $200 (if you need to recall the Dell fiasco, go here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=536439). I'd never spent that much on a video card before. I usually wait until video cards drop to about $150 before buying them, but as I was putting together a new rig, and needed a PCI-E card (all my other machines were AGP), I decided to go with the 8800GT since it was really the new 'golden boy' for providing the best bang for the buck.

However, in this current economy, I may likely put off another upgrade beyond 3 years and not likely spend over $200 when I do.

Whenever a new top end GPU comes out. Stinkin' GTX 285 performs exactly the same as the 280 clock for clock, so I skipped that one..

Back