loads of problems with my xp x64 install

ok so today i was trying to get a game installed so that i could try and extract the textures from it, well i dont know what happend but for some reason my theme changed to the windows classic theme and when i restarted to try and fix it, it would start to load windows and then as soon as its about to start (at the part with the blue loading bar)

it restarts and it just kept doing that til i was able to choose last known good configuration and it booted, however i did not have a task bar, i cant copy and paste or cut and paste and i can not drag and drop files

both of which are bad since i went out and bought a copy of vista 64 and wanna backup my files but i cant, i also do not have internet on windows and i cant create a connection, so i dont know whats going on, but if any of you have any ideas please let me know, im trying to fix this before i go to work tonight, so i await your answers and thanks for reading
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    CPU: E8400 3.0ghz
    Memory: Gskill 4 gigabyte 2x2gb sticks
    Videocard: ATI Radeon 4850
    Case: Antec 900
    Mouse: Logitech G5
    Keyboard: Zboard Gaming Keyboard

My Heatware

what game was it you were installing? did it install any 3rd party software that isn't 64 bit compatible?
    hINdErPiTsintel core2quad 9550@4.2(lapped)*8 gb mushkin pc 8500 *EVGA 285GTX stock*asus maximus 2 formula r.o.g.*custom liquid(apogee gtz, mcp 655b, 2x120 rad in push/pull mounted outside, xspc 5.25 bay res, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX 1/2" tubes) ultra 650 watt psu*2x120 gb wd black*1 terabyte wd black data hd*liteon 20x dl dvdrw litescribe*sb audigy*3xindustrial 80mm fan 4600rpm/55cfm*6x120mm fan(2xkazemaster)*Scythe KM02-BK fan controller*sunbeam transformer atx full *windows xp pro 64/vista ultimate 32 dual boot* asus 24" 1080p/dvi
    THOSE WHO DESIRE TO GIVE UP FREEDOM TO GAIN SECURITY WILL NOT HAVE NOR DO THEY DESERVE EITHER ONE-BENJAMIN FRANKLINBE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD-GHANDIASK ME ABOUT FREE CUSTOM MACHINED PARTS FOR YOUR RIG

Quote Originally Posted by hinderpits View Post
    what game was it you were installing? did it install any 3rd party software that isn't 64 bit compatible?
    the game was star wars xwing alliance and no it didnt install any 3rd party software as i didnt get it installed i had to copy the files from another computer to get it to work under 64bit windows since its a 16bit installer if i remember correctly

My Heatware

after 30 pages of google searching i found an answer, i managed to use a ubuntu cd to backup my files and am now running vista 64bit

My Heatware

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior
    Alt OS Content Editor
    I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it
    HEAT
    Those wishing to contribute to the AltOS section front page please PM me.

Leviathan41: "Playing with a controller because the mouse and keyboard is too easy is like racing with a bicycle because a car is too fast."

Chris Fisher "Windows is like Administration with training wheels"

Quote Originally Posted by Stratus_ss View Post
    I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it
    well i was trying to find a workaround or a fix to the problems i was having but after i found the link for the ubuntu cd to backup my files i went for that

My Heatware

Long live Linux!

XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.

Registered
    Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.
    the problem i had was the first one i had with xp x64

Quote Originally Posted by UglyChild View Post
    XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.
    i already went to 64bit vista but i also never had any problems with any programs on xp x64, just xwing alliance which is a 16bit installer and doesnt work under 64bit os

My Heatware