• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ME will install, but XP won't?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem1x1

I've been fighting my main system since Friday night, and man I'm finally starting to win :). I've managed to get ME loaded and running again, and went to install my XP pro upgrade, but it crashes after the first reboot, justr after it asks you to press F6 to install any 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers. I've been through this 4 times now, and it just blows my mind. I thought well maybe the promise RAID does require some kind of driver disk, but can't find one anywhere. My Highpoint didn't need one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would try just letting the XP install proggie start and see if it detects your RAID array. If it does then your in luck
if your RAID array isn't detected then don't do any partitioning/reformating or you will muck up the array

I went through the install like that (because I don't have a RAID driver for the promise on my soyo mobo)
The system goes through the first reboot, then gives me a BSOD, shortly after the first couple of screens.
BTW thanks for the help on this!

Well, checking www.promise.com, they do have a driver for the RAID that is on the Soyo boards that might work. You might need to hit F6, put in the driver disk and continue the install from there. Have you tried that yet??

how about flash your bios first then pull out all the PCI cards then start clean install. once finish install just put the PCI or other additional hardware in one by one. just a guess that u could try. Might work since it all will be clean.
Good Luck
:)

Your best bet might be to boot to the XP CD, format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP rather than doing an upgrade of ME. It will save you from problems in the long run, clean installs work much better than upgrades.

He doesn't need to full version to do a clean install. The only difference between the full version and the upgrade version is that the upgrade version asks for proof of a qualifying product during the installation. With both the full version and the upgrade version you can do an upgrade of an existing OS, a full install over an existing OS, or a clean install.

I had the same problem when I was trying to install Win2000 on my BE6-II and ST6R. My HDs were on the HPT IDEs. I think it is related to the drivers. For some reasons, the window setup just can't read the driver when you hit F6.

If you are installing Win2k, I think there is only one way to do it: Move the HD to IDE 1 (not raid, not HPT) and install the win2k. after you are done, boot up and install the driver of the HPT in windows mode. then only you switch your HD back to IDE 3 (Raid or HPT IDE).

I tried to install WinXP with HD on IDE3 once before. It was ok to boot windows without installing the driver at the setup page. Or, you can try the method that I used in installing win2k. It may help.

I wanted to thank everyone for the great suggestions, unfortunately, I'm still on ME. I've tried everything listed, if anyone has any other suggestions, no matter how "off the wall", please lemme be your beta boy :)
Thanks Again!!!

Back