• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlock the cache on the X810

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

After the 4th core has been unlocked on the triplecores,it shouldn't come as a surprise that only the BIOS hides the cache in the 8XX line as well. Source

So far it is unknown how was this accomplished.

Not really practical but somewhat interesting.

phenom%20II%20X4%20810%20cache%20unlock%2001.png

Now that's a lovely mess. That makes the 8xx line up so much more competitive against 9xx. I think the ulocking of the cache will boost AMD sales a lot more than the extra core on the 7xx line. And all these in such a small price.... great pricing for the mainstream users I guess.

Very close. Link

Actually I would not be surprised if these leaks would have come from AMD themselves.

Did not happen for years that AMD had cpu in the top 3 selling chips in Japan. now they hold the first place.

These days better sell even cheaper than keep it in stock.

AMD does not really loose money on it.
Our old AM2+ even some AM2 boards got Bios updates for AM3 cpus so we could use those.

The price difference between SB600 with 9xx cpu and an SB750 with 7xx/8xx is so small that it might not be money what people are after just the fun or to get something for free.

I would not risk a 4th core to save 20$.

Very close. Link

Actually I would not be surprised if these leaks would have come from AMD themselves.

Did not happen for years that AMD had cpu in the top 3 selling chips in Japan. now they hold the first place.

These days better sell even cheaper than keep it in stock.

AMD does not really loose money on it.
Our old AM2+ even some AM2 boards got Bios updates for AM3 cpus so we could use those.

The price difference between SB600 with 9xx cpu and an SB750 with 7xx/8xx is so small that it might not be money what people are after just the fun or to get something for free.

I would not risk a 4th core to save 20$.

woah what the heck, on that chart the X3 is kickin some serious ***, the 720 is acually a teeny bit faster than the 920. that is BOGGLEING ME HEAD.

any way the SB 600 is a little dated and if i remember correctly doesent have that fancyness that gives the new processors their extra overclocking boost that the new ones do.

while we are on that how does the SB 710 compare to the rest?

The new processors have that overclocking boost already built in, you only need SB750 for PHI which isn't recommended anyway.

The NB is faster on the AM3 denebs that's why the 720 does really well with it's clockspeed advantage against the 810.

acually what i find interesting is there isnt a big scramble to fix any of this or keep it from happening.
it must be cheaper to make these processors than they are making it out to be.

Actually this is an Am3 chip just like the 720, all they had to change is the Bios to disable it and do not really go for it.

On the contrary AMD was kinda proud how well the triples sold after the hack became public. I doubt they really loose sales from the 9xx cpus because of this.

Phenom II 940 still have its value. I saw one guy with 4 cores running at 3.6 GHz using 720BE trick. He was at 1.5V or so when I am at much lower voltage (see sig.) So I kinda view this as back in the days when certain Opteron overclocked better because the server processor had more margin. It was able to run stock speed at lower voltage. For highest clock speed, you should always try to cherry pick. For best bang for the buck, I believe either 720BE or 810 will be the same. I like 720BE better because it can reduce the motherboard costs. After all, motherboard sometimes costs more than the CPU! Multiplier overclock is not as stressful as dependent as motherboard design. You only have to watch out for poor VRM implementations.

Back