• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a XFX 8800Ultra 768mb, or XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 1024MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

You all vote this 4870's fate, keep it or toss it (Multiple votes ok)

• Keep the 8800 Ultra 768mb

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Keep the 512mb 4870

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Sam, Your a moron for not getting a SLI mobo you could have gotten a 2nd 4870

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Your buddy is an idiot and tried to rip you off, just he's bad at math and he lost out

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sell it all and get a DELL

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
My buddy stopped by and brought me a Saitek Cyborg keyboard for the mix up, its the 1st keyboard I've owned that has two USB connectors.:screwy: (had to read the manual to see that the 2nd is a extension pass through. TRULY a stupid option in my opinion to then have the pass through on the keyboard usb slot.

Keep in mind I've owned a few Saiteks, and this one is kind of goofy. Saitek was great at keeping it simple, and now their deviating to have 'internet' keyboard and gaming features. The reason I went to Saitek was to get away from the internet keyboards and their 50 useless buttons I'll never use.:bang head

But since it was free, I'll force myself to use it/ But my old Saitek will be close by in case I decide to scuttle this fancy dancy new model. :beer:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 391
My buddy stopped by and brought me a Saitek Cyborg keyboard for the mix up, its the 1st keyboard I've owned that has two USB connectors.:screwy: (had to read the manual to see that the 2nd is a extension pass through. TRULY a stupid option in my opinion to then have the pass through on the keyboard usb slot.

Keep in mind I've owned a few Saiteks, and this one is kind of goofy. Saitek was great at keeping it simple, and now their deviating to have 'internet' keyboard and gaming features. The reason I went to Saitek was to get away from the internet keyboards and their 50 useless buttons I'll never use.:bang head

But since it was free, I'll force myself to use it/ But my old Saitek will be close by in case I decide to scuttle this fancy dancy new model. :beer:

It sure is purdy though!:cool: LOL

I like the looks of that SSS. I have the Saitek Eclipse II. Trade ya!

I've only used it for a few minutes, but I definitely like the 6 colors and better dim options. I especially like the tactile feel of the keys, it's more 'clicky' than the keys on my Saitek red special edition, although I made my sister buy the next one with the 3 colors. This Cyborg has Red, Green, Yellow, Orange & light orange. I was watching Transporter 3 on blu ray in my living room, during the movie I read the Saitek manual, I guess you can shut down parts of the lighting on the keyboard and illuminate your favorite keys or what not.

If your Saitek II has the same colors I'll put an ad in the wanted section wanting to trade your Saitek II for this, I have a Nostromo N52, so my needs for a gaming keyboard are nil ;) Plus, I'd have to ban myself (~again) if I traded outside the classifieds. I'll also give you advanced notice of the thread being put up via PM.

It's also to big, I have an office desk with a lower pull out keyboard tray, its 28" and the Cyborg is 21" Now its enough room for the mouse (my mousepad is 18" x 16") But not enough room for my Nostromo n52, so somebodies got to go and it ain't the n52. The Cyborg also has tape on the extra keys on both sides, I'm not taking the tape off because I don't believe it joining my family :D

Really the 4870/Ultra should be all you need for 1680x1050, what processor do you have? If you have an old 939 X2 or an old P4 something better than a 4870 will not be worth it, with all the bottlenecking issuses.

Really the 4870/Ultra should be all you need for 1680x1050, what processor do you have? If you have an old 939 X2 or an old P4 something better than a 4870 will not be worth it, with all the bottlenecking issuses.

I think your right, I'm not mr give a hoot about my 3dmark score, I just want the games I occasionally play to play with no stuttering, great picture and perform decently.

Asus P5Q (non SLI)
Intel E8500
Gskill 4x 1gb pc1066
2xWD Caviar black 1Tb
8800ultra 768mb or the Visiontek 4870 512mb always run 1680x1050 (gaming res as well)

Yea, somehow, I think the 4870 will outperform it, its just a much newer card, TBH the G80 is showing its age, I think a newer card will outperform it.

Go with the HD4870.

I would also considere power consumption, noise, temperatures. AFAIK off the top of my head the 4870 is better on power consumption, but the fan is offensively loud at anything over 40%... But temps load at about 65c with kinda OK air movement.

And you used the wrong "You're" in the poll ;) :beer:

Go with the HD4870.

I would also considere power consumption, noise, temperatures. AFAIK off the top of my head the 4870 is better on power consumption, but the fan is offensively loud at anything over 40%... But temps load at about 65c with kinda OK air movement.

And you used the wrong "You're" in the poll ;) :beer:

Stock cooling would naturally be thrown in the rubbish can and a Thermalright slapped on the bugger. If it's loud or a poor performing heatsink, it's gotta go. The 8800Ultra's stock cooling was ditched on the 2nd day of owning it. ;)

If air cannot tame the beast, I can always bust out the h20 gear, but at the moment, I'm giving water a break for a bit.

Stock cooling would naturally be thrown in the rubbish can and a Thermalright slapped on the bugger. If it's loud or a poor performing heatsink, it's gotta go. The 8800Ultra's stock cooling was ditched on the 2nd day of owning it. ;)

If air cannot tame the beast, I can always bust out the h20 gear, but at the moment, I'm giving water a break for a bit.

Thermalright will put her in her place for sure. :beer:

Sammy, keep the 4870. I have used both Nv & ATI back and forth for the last 4 yrs. ATI has better IQ and the colors look better as well. Before anyone starts preaching that Nv has come a long way with thier IQ and/or are even with ATI. Pfft, I can still see a difference. Maybe negligable but I can still tell. If you have new vid cards, you will eventually get a new proc & mobo, guarenteed, this is not underachivers.com and you are no wussy mod (unlike cw823). Aheem, having said all that, keep the 4870, its a smoking card.

Yeah yer rez sucks but that also can be improved. One of my buddies 73yr old just bought a sweet refurb Dell 24" LCD for $239 shipped! Dang, you should get one of those too.

Back