• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a XFX 8800Ultra 768mb, or XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 1024MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

You all vote this 4870's fate, keep it or toss it (Multiple votes ok)

• Keep the 8800 Ultra 768mb

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Keep the 512mb 4870

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Sam, Your a moron for not getting a SLI mobo you could have gotten a 2nd 4870

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Your buddy is an idiot and tried to rip you off, just he's bad at math and he lost out

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sell it all and get a DELL

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
I have a XFX 8800Ultra 768mb, I have coming to me a XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 1024MB (This is the exact card, its sealed in retail box, it was purchased there for $285.69 after shipping, but not by me) I can buy this 1gb Radeon 4870 for $102 (Actually it is most likely in my mailbox right now.
I gave a good friend $102 as he had no cash on him for an emergency, he told me he decided not running two 4870's in SLI, and he kept it to long and now can't be returned. (This is the same friend of mine that tried to shoehorn a 8800Ultra into a very small mini ATX case, needless to say, I ended up with that card as well, I paid $100)

So I could have taken $102 in cash, or this videocard. This seemed like a no brainer even if I don't use it for resale on Ebay. So the tracking number says it left Tampa yesterday, Tampas like 50 miles away from me.

Anyway, will I notice any significant differences over my 8800Ultra? If the difference between a 8800ultra over a 4870 XXX 1gb is slight, I'm not opening it and it'll end up on Ebay ;)

update.gif
Got the card in the mail, and it's not even close to what he said it was, read post #5 below
update.gif

Last edited:
I offer the princely sum of one hundred and THREE dollars (plus shipping) for this fine piece of circuitry!

Of course I will only actually make this offer if that card ends up in the classies...

*wait, why are you getting out that hammer?!?!?!?!*

NOOOOO NOT THE BAN HAMMER!!!!!

You could sell the 8800 Ultra for around $100+, and keep the 4870. Even trade up there.

I guess it comes down to what games you play and at what resolution for it to be considered a worthwhile upgrade.

My buddy is a complete moron, he sent a Radeon HD 4870 DDR5 512mb and not the 1 gig model. He probably had both and didn't even know what he sent.
I even gave him a box with a prepaid label, this way there is no chance it gets mailed elsewhere. But he still screwed up. But I think this card costs more than $102

PS, I'm not soliciting sales, I just needed to know which is better. I'll solicit sales in the classifieds or Ebay once I get thine answer to thine querry :beer: PSS< I play at 1680x1050 with the settings as high as it can go. I only play two games, BF2 (retired) and GTA4 once in a blue moon. ATI or Nvidia, could care less, all I care about is performance and the image looking as good as possible ;)

Here's a picture of the card, it's different manufacturer, and a different card. He's an idiot, and he's a member here, this is why I wont be banning myself, because its the truth. I'm sure he wont rebutt this because then everyone would know who he is and then they would all assume he's a knucklehead. :beer:

Attachments

• Howard the amnesiac 004.jpg
    Howard the amnesiac 004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 565
lol iq of a dill pickle

the 4870 is a faster card no doubt, the gap will be closed at over 1680x1050 i would imagine. They are probably closer at 1920x1200 than at any lower res the 4870 would beat it. the 512mb will allow that 8800ultra to catch up at higher res with AA i would think.

Last edited:
lol iq of a dill pickle

the 4870 is a faster card no doubt, the gap will be closed at over 1680x1050 i would imagine. They are probably closer at 1920x1200 than at any lower res the 4870 would beat it. the 512mb will allow that 8800ultra to catch up at higher res with AA i would think.

Appreciate the reply mr rattle. The 8800ultra is the 768mb version, does that change anything?

that make its a better high res card I would think, the 4870 is pure firepower but it suffers at 1920x1200 for me with 2xAA.

In that situation they might be pretty close.

At higher resolutions you would want more video card ram and that is why the Ultra would be better. But at 1680x1050 you should be fine with HD4870 512mb. I am currently using 8800GT 512mb and I have no problems maxing out games with AA/AF at the same resolution you are playing at. (except for maybe crysis etc..even Far Cry 2 plays well with 2xAA) As for GTA 4, it runs purely on CPU power no matter how high you put up ur resolution so Id worry more about the CPU clock speeds than the cards for that game.

All in all, the HD4870 512mb will kick ***!!

SSS. The 4870 is a good card. But i can guarantee you that i will play no where near as smooth as the 8800ultra, The ATI cards suffer from stutter pretty bad. if you like to play crysis then forget about it on the 4870. Ive owned one and was not impressed.

the ati cards do not suffer from stuttering, they are far smoother in crossfire than a 295 was, they do however suck in crysis, nvidia cards get more fps in crysis but I dont think anyone plays it anyway.

hmm...how i see it, an 8800 Ultra performs as well as 9800GTX. seeing as the 4850 beats the GTX, shoudln't the 4870 beat it by a lot?

Thats what I thought.

I just figured he had a split personality. bought a few cards when he was one person then worked out some deal with him self then mailed it to him self.

LOL, That's really hysterical, why?

I did mail it to myself, after I loaned my buddy $102, I gave him a box with a preprinted and pre paid USPS label, it had my name on it twice, on the ship to; and on the return sender. I told him if he doesn't want to pay me back, I'll take his offer on the card as repayment. (if I sold it, I would give him the difference) ;)

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 523
@op: I saw something on the nvidia site and was wondering if you would be a Guinea pig and see if you can run the ATI as gfx and the nvidia as PhysX accelerator. As nVidia was kind of vague and it is holding me back from a purchase.

Id keep the 4870.I just love new PC parts.Plus i dont really think 256mb is gonna make that much differnce at 1680x1050.Since the 4870 should have more than enough balls to max that res

@OP: I saw something on the nvidia site and was wondering if you would be a Guinea pig and see if you can run the ATI as gfx and the nvidia as PhysX accelerator. As nVidia was kind of vague and it is holding me back from a purchase.

I'll see what I can do to help, just sent you a PM

Back