• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII 940 VS I7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr.max-amd

truly, if someone is only willing to take an i7 920 to 3.2ghz and the other person is going to take the PII to 3.6 what would perform better?
cpus only not any ram/vid card difference

truly, if someone is only willing to take an i7 920 to 3.2ghz and the other person is going to take the PII to 3.6 what would perform better?
cpus only not any ram/vid card difference

With an I7 at 3.2 and a X4 at 3.6. It will be close but the I7 should be faster.

Mr.. Goto the top of this forum and run PCmark2002 and compare it against my I7 numbers at 3.2Ghz

3.2 vs 3.6?? that's not very apples to apples. It's better either to compare them at stock speeds, max average overclock speeds, or performance/dollar.

Clock for clock, the i7 is MUCH faster. The PII is more on par with kentsfield processors.

The phenom 940 is really weak in comparison to the intel core i7. Even the kentfields which are 65nm chips beat phenom clock for clock. THe 45nm q9400 is 350mhz slower than the 3ghz phenom 940 and it is about equal. The 45nm core 2 is about 5% better than the the 65nm core 2. The core i7 is about 15% better than the core 2 45nm so we are seeing around 20% better over the the kents and more or less about 25% better over the phenom 2 in some benchmarks. So you would probably need about +800mhz -1000mhz overclock or more to come close to competing with core i7 and even then they can never beat intel in certain benchmarks because of the tri hcannel MC and hyperthreading and better instruction set + superior manufacturing. They can beat them is some that is why many of the istesw point out that if you overclock the phenom 2 to 3.6ghz you will have some wins ove the core i7 920 at stock.

im thinking about soon buying an i7 an evga x58 and the new kingston hyperx ddr3 2000
but i dont know with the development of am3 and all its power with the 720 triple cores i think i might wait for the phenom 3 or the phenom 2 1000 or whatever they will call the next generation of quads

Back