• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to upgrade my GPU. can't decide what please help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jipris19

Registered
Here are my current specs:

Asus striker II Formula 780i

Q6600 2.40 Ghz

4 gig Ocz 800 mhz

Xfx 8800gtx

Seagate barracuda raid 0 - 1tb

Vista 32-bit ultimate

Samsung LCD monitor 22’’

Power supply 1000w

I am considering going for evga gtx 285 or 295 , but i think I will need a better cpu and upgrade to some better 1066 memory.

On the other hand I was thinking for sli with 280 or 260.

What should I do to get the best perfromance for gaming. :confused:

What should be better for my current system. :confused:

I am playing Crysis and i want to get a smooth frame with a very high detail.

Just OC the hell out your CPU, sell the 8800gtx, and get a gtx260 core216 or 2 for sli. It should provide you excellent gaming performance even in crysis.

Upgrade the mobo/mem/cpu later, I'd hold out as much as I can until the core i7 platform becomes more mainstream.

on a 22" the 295 is gonna be a little bit overkill. I'd go with the 285 and OC your q6600 as far as you can get it, (3.2 to 3.4 ghz would be awesome, 3.6ghz if yours can make it with a reasonable vcore)

i am not concerned to buy a big monitor, if i 'll upgrade my monitor the max is to buy a 24' .. is bigger resolution make such a big difference? i am very confused for the monitor i don't want to through away so much money for a monitor it's simply don't worth it... want only to know what is the best for my current system .i concerned to buy evga 285 ssc and put water cooling system THERMALTAKE BIG WATER 780E in order to overclocked my system is it a good choice? unsure.gif

most 24 inch monitors aren't available past 1920 by 1200, and i think the gtx260 core 216 would be most adequate. considering crysis was a pretty badly coded game, and i doubt later games will have such hefty requirements (gta4 excluded - it's not a game, it's vomit)

my specs are all being pumped to a 19 inch 1280 by 1024 monitor - ery high on ista with 2x anti aliasing (though i often turn it off), and i get between 45 and 28 fps...

if the game didn't crash so much with these latest drivers.

PLEASE help me

Please tell me guys . What is better ? sli 260 or single 285 . I am not planing to change monitor and if i do i don not spend money for 30'' monitor it too expensive, the most i can get is full HD 24'' MONITOR and that it will happen when i sell my 8800 gtx and look after for my budget . I want very smooth graphic and best performance on games general AND i want to can enable the antialiasing mode very high details, also I want and good performance on Crysis.
I am planing to pas until the next year when new graphic cards gtx 300 with direct 11 on ddr5 coming. Please correct me if i SAY something wrong. Any way first i understand i must OC my cpu and i am going to do it with a good water cooling system . What else i must to do? .. i have the budget for sli 260 and 285. What is the best to do? i am not interest for ATI . I am always support Nvidia. What would be the best for my monitor?
It is very good on 1680 - 1050 resolution , 3000:1 dynamic contrast and 2ms r.t

Please help me to decide what is the best

I wouldn't worry about a new monitor. Thats not what they were saying. If you ALREADY had a bigger monitor, with a higher resolution than people would suggest a card with more memory.

Since your running 1680x1050 then then gtx260 would be perfect. You can grab two of them and SLI that rig after you overclock that q6600 to 3.2ghz - 3.6ghz.

Look at these comparisons, it should help. http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/8

Yup the gtx260 core216 is just perfect for 1680x1050. I believe that's where the sweet spot is at the moment... But if you have the money and find a good deal, by all means grab the gtx285.

not to hijack the thread or anything it's just that my setup is very similar and i am also looking to upgrade;

i have 2 x 8800gtx oc from bfg which are driving 30'' Dell 3007WFP HC
monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600 which obviously my gfx are too weak for; on top of that one of my cards started getting seriously hot and stock bfg air cooling is not coping (games sometimes crash); i had to open the case and expose to some serious near-industrial_grade cyclon producer:mad:
(i did disassemble cooler , cleaned it and applied new thermal paste)

i was wondering whether performance increase of 1 or 2 260 would be worth the moneys ?? not really keen on double gpu cards unless they really gosu performers

my other spec

CPU Q6600 2.4Ghz
MB Asus Striker Extreme
RAM 4GB OCZ 800
HDD 2x 500GBSamsung Spinpoint + 1TBSamsungSpinpoint
Sound Auzentech Prelude
PSU Galaxy 850
Monitor 30'' Dell 3007WFP HC

Back