• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoon

I have a AMD Duron 1Gig on a K7AMA motherboard with an ALIM1645 chipset. I have read the manual and read the beginners guides on this site. I couldnt find any thing in Bios for setting the FSB and it wouldnt alow me to change the CPU speed or set that option to manual. Maybe in just stupid :p
Any suggestions ?

OK I guess what im asking is...

:confused: Does anyone know of a good online tutorial or beginners guide other that those on the overclockers.com website. Preferable one that is more specific to the type of motherboard and proccessor that I am using (see above) ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

i dont know ur motherboard but will respond regardless and try to help. some motherboards call fsb "cpu bus", if that helps, also on the motherboard there may be some clock multiplier settings and some bus speed settings along with some memory voltage settings, so check ur manual and fiddle with the dip switches, make sure ur temps are low, use small increments, be careful.

First, welcome to OC.com :)

OK. That is an ECS board and they aren't known for the most oc freindly mobos. They tend to be stable and fairly quick but lacking in features we all tend to love :D
It would be helpful to know specifically which board you have though. There are 3 versions of the K7AMA at the ECS site.
You may have the ability to oc somewhat using settings found in CPU PnP Set-up in bios.

Would this help ?

This is the most that I know to tell you about my mobo....

Motherboard Features
Ali® Magic 1645 & Magic 1535D+ Chipset
Sockets A for AMD® Athlon/Duron (K7) processors
Two 184-pin DDR DIMMs and two 168-pin DIMMs with DDR DRAMor SDRAM support, support, up to 2GB
RealTek 8139C LAN Chip on board
AC97 Audio Codec on board

PROCESSORS Detail
AMD® Athlon/Duron (K7) processors
Full series of Athlon/Duron CPU including the future Athlon processors
K7AMA mainboard has a Socket-462 processor socket for an AMD K7 type CPUs. You can install any one of these processors on the mainboard. The mainboard supports Socket-462 processor front-side bus speeds of 200MHz or 266MHz.

CHIPSET
Ali® Magic 1645(NB) & Magic 1535D+(SB) Chipset
Support AGP 2.0 specification (4X)
Support PCI 2.2 Specification

LPC I/O - IT8870F
SAN: RealTek 8139C
AC97 Audio Codec Compliant with AC97 2.1 specification

MEMORY
2 DDR DIMM Sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support (can not be used simultaneously)
Two 184-pin 2.5V DDR SDRAM (DDR266/DDR200) or
Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC133/PC100)
Maximum: 2GB

SYSTEM BIOS
AMI 2MB Flash EEPROM
Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, AMP 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
Support for ACPI revision 1.0 specification

I/O INTERFACE
Supports Plug and Play function
PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse connectors
Two USB Ports
One - EPP/ECP mode parallel port
Two - 16550 high-speed serial I/O port
Audio Ports (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in, CD-in and game port)

LAN Header
Supports 360K~2.88M Byte, 3 Mode FDDs
Dual PCI IDE interfaces - support four IDE devices (PIO mode 4, DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA 33/66/100)
ATX Power Supply Connector
Ports, Headers and Others: IrDA Cable header, Two Extra USB Headers Onboard
Front Panel MIC/Line-Out header, Green, HDD, Power indicator LED headers
CPU and Case Fan headers
LAN Card Wake Up / Internal Modem Ring Wake-Up headers

RTC & BATTERY
M1535D+ included 256 bytes of CMOS
With CMOS hardware clear jumper

EXPANSION SLOTS
4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 1 AMR slot

FORM FACTOR
ATX (304mm*220mm)

OK. I have seen that before on the ECS site and I never found any kind of stamp like that. I looked again today (found a flashlight) and still cant find it. Looks like it should be in between the two pci slots closest to the agp slot. The only thing I saw way a stamp that said K7AMA but it was on the other side of the agp slot. From what I've seen there is supposed to be at least something there. Do you think some one screwed up at the ol mainboard factory ?:D

Last edited:
mcoon said:
OK. I have seen that before on the ECS site and I never found any kind of stamp like that. I looked again today (found a flashlight) and still cant find it. Looks like it should be in between the two pci slots closest to the agp slot. The only thing I saw way a stamp that said K7AMA but it was on the other side of the agp slot. From what I've seen there is supposed to be at least something there. Do you think some one screwed up at the ol mainboard factory ?:D

They move'em around for some reason :rolleyes:
No ver # with it though??

:mad: I did a very good check and I didnt find any stickers or any stamps with a version number on it. I doubt this helps but all I found was a very small sticker that just said "0" and on the AMIBIOS chip I found a sticker that said 104. It is either really small or it is on the bottom and I cant see it without taking every thing completely out. I really dont want to have to do this.
Also, I found this on the back of my user guide:
P/N:40-012-592111
Version: 1.1
Thats probaly had nothing to do with the board its self but Im not sure. I might try contacting tech support on the ecs website.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've had a couple ECS boards that don't support changing the FSB. Might've had that one... can't remember. Not all boards will let you overclock at all. Gotta check the reviews first. Give that manual another look, and check everything in the bios. Good luck.

I have that board and the only way you can change the fsb at all is by means of jumpers. Mine doesn't have a revision number on it either.

Back