• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(IN STOCK)Monoprice just restocked the hard to find articulating HDTV wall mounts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh man missed this. Got mine back in March... love this beast. Amazing, I was hanging off it after I mounted it to the wall and im 218 lbs.

Are monoprice's other mounts good too? I'm going to be looking for a low profile bracket and see they carry them.

Most all their mounts are well above average, even the no frills cheapest $17 one is decent. Installed that one many times for friends that are allergic to hand-tools..:rolleyes:
If you want your 37" to 63" flat panel as flush to the wall as possible, those $17 or $18 ones are good. If you're a glutton for punishment, you could always go to BestBuy and buy the same thing for $199 plus tax :eek:

Monoprice's best mount is that dual aluminum arm behemoth, it's under $100. Nobody can beat that price and that mount and this one in the 1st post are both built like a tank. I recently bought this one for $25, it's also built like a tank and serious over-kill holding a 22" LCD in my home office. I'm willing to bet, if I had this larger VESA adapter, I could hang my 47" flat panel on it, easily...(It would be a lot of weight on one stud for sure, but just a testament on how strong these low cost Monoprice articulating wall mounts are.

The mount on the front page I was finding prices in the $325-400 range for the dang mount. Heck the cheapest one I found at BB when I got my TV was in the range of $200 area just to have a swivel.

I got this, 2 HDMI cables, and a wall cover plate for running cables in the wall for under $90 shipped and it was dang quick too. Arrived actually 3 days early!

Most all their mounts are well above average, even the no frills cheapest $17 one is decent. Installed that one many times for friends that are allergic to hand-tools..:rolleyes:
If you want your 37" to 63" flat panel as flush to the wall as possible, those $17 or $18 ones are good. If you're a glutton for punishment, you could always go to BestBuy and buy the same thing for $199 plus tax :eek:

Monoprice's best mount is that dual aluminum arm behemoth, it's under $100. Nobody can beat that price and that mount and this one in the 1st post are both built like a tank. I recently bought this one for $25, it's also built like a tank and serious over-kill holding a 22" LCD in my home office. I'm willing to bet, if I had this larger VESA adapter, I could hang my 47" flat panel on it, easily...(It would be a lot of weight on one stud for sure, but just a testament on how strong these low cost Monoprice articulating wall mounts are.

That $17 one is the one I was looking at. I was just skeptical because the price seems too good to be true. The only place I'll be watching the TV from is straight at the wall so I don't need any of the fancy movements.

That $17 one is the one I was looking at. I was just skeptical because the price seems too good to be true. The only place I'll be watching the TV from is straight at the wall so I don't need any of the fancy movements.

Then that's the mount for you. One tip is have a friend or family member help you, since that mount is flush (1.25" from tv to wall) it's so much easier putting the hdtv w/mounting plate affixed to the mount affixed on the wall (one slides into the other)

It's a bit tough to do with a flat panel over 32" with one person, since the clearance is 1.25" Its easy as hell to take it off the wall with one person though for what that's worth :)

I see a lot of people using these mounts with lighter TV's. How do you think these bad boys will hold up with a 54" 107 pound plasma? I'll be using the 3900 model. Thoughts? Thanks.

I see a lot of people using these mounts with lighter TV's. How do you think these bad boys will hold up with a 54" 107 pound plasma? I'll be using the 3900 model. Thoughts? Thanks.

The big mount? Its rated for 170, and it held my 220 up off the wall. Not fully extended but a few inches from the wall. Holds my 40" nicely but its also only 35 lbs, think the mount weighs more.

eusa_think.gif
It's official, I'm twice as confused than before.
question-1.gif

Then again, This isn't the first time I'm twice as confused after something was explained to me, it also won't be the last
ban-llama.gif

Well changed the plan anyways.

Originally I was going to go for two mounts (one on either side of the wall, back to back) but I ended up just using a single mount and 10 toggle bolts since my studs are made out of tin foil evidently.

I was hanging off it and bouncing and the only thing that happened was the wall flexed. 42" LCD hanging on it now with zero issues. I check the mount about once a week though to see if there is any pull away from the wall.

Well changed the plan anyways.

Originally I was going to go for two mounts (one on either side of the wall, back to back) but I ended up just using a single mount and 10 toggle bolts since my studs are made out of tin foil evidently.

I was hanging off it and bouncing and the only thing that happened was the wall flexed. 42" LCD hanging on it now with zero issues. I check the mount about once a week though to see if there is any pull away from the wall.

Did you use normal toggle bolts or the new snaptoggle type? Snaptoggles and other advanced types can hold twice the weight of conventional toggle bolts. (Plus they are removable without losing the 'winged' toggle top behind the wall)

Normal Toggle bolts.

Each of the bolts is rated for 150lbs, in theory I have the equivalent of 1500 lbs but the drywall would never support that.

Its not all the drywall though its the studs behind it that are taking out and down load on them as well. Though the drywall is taking a brunt of the force but at least its spread out on it to help distribute the load more evenly.

I think they stated 170lbs due to the fact that if in full extend of the stand there is alot more force out there then if its as close to the wall as possible. Curious how much the calculated load at the wall is with 170lbs mounted on the end fully extended.

If I couldn't hit the studs or had a wall with metal studs, what I'd have done is mount a 1" x 4" x 16" or 2x4x15 wooden plate on both sides of the drywall, then mounted the bracket to the wooden wall plate, then paint it white) this is surely a better method if mounting a very heavy mount plus the flat panels weight.

There are other ways to do this, with having the wooden 'plate' only on one side of the wall, and the other side, inside the wall, but this means a service port would have to be cut out then resealed. Long ago I used to work for a interior decorator as his installer when I was in college, I've seen some horror situations with people mounting very heavy items using toggle bolts (and sometimes they just used drywall screws lol), they called us to reinstalled it after the wall toggle bolts ripped out of the wall. Some people were cheap, they'd spend thousands on window treatments, and they thought they could install them themselves and do so properly. These are the jobs that showed me what toggle bolts can and cannot hold, all I know is these Monoprice mounts need to hit two studs or a suitable alternate plan like using wooden planks as anchors like I mentioned, if not, there could be problems down the road.

The last thing you want to see is a expensive flat panel in shards on the floor.

If I couldn't hit the studs or had a wall with metal studs, what I'd have done is mount a 1" x 4" x 16" or 2x4x15 wooden plate on both sides of the drywall, then mounted the bracket to the wooden wall plate, then paint it white) this is surely a better method if mounting a very heavy mount plus the flat panels weight.

There are other ways to do this, with having the wooden 'plate' only on one side of the wall, and the other side, inside the wall, but this means a service port would have to be cut out then resealed. Long ago I used to work for a interior decorator as his installer when I was in college, I've seen some horror situations with people mounting very heavy items using toggle bolts (and sometimes they just used drywall screws lol), they called us to reinstalled it after the wall toggle bolts ripped out of the wall. Some people were cheap, they'd spend thousands on window treatments, and they thought they could install them themselves and do so properly. These are the jobs that showed me what toggle bolts can and cannot hold, all I know is these Monoprice mounts need to hit two studs or a suitable alternate plan like using wooden planks as anchors like I mentioned, if not, there could be problems down the road.

The last thing you want to see is a expensive flat panel in shards on the floor.

Think it says in the instructions quiet clearly 2 studs for mounting required. They give you of course enough bolts for 3 studs.

Course im not one to read instructions much but when mounting a expensive TV to something I want to make sure I do it right.

Problem I have is that the studs in my condo are literally paper thin. They put up the cheapest possible studs in order to hang the drywall (its 1/2"). Trying to dril through the studs results in the stud pulling away from the drywall, floor, and ceiling and turning into something out of a horror movie.

I am keeping an eye on it but the idea of going THROUGH the other side of the wall and bolting a board there is one I may well do SSS. As much as I would like to bolt this thing to the studs, the studs here have the strength of heavy duty aluminum foil.

The mount is bolted through a 3'x 1'x1/2" board which is also bolted to the wall.

Think it says in the instructions quiet clearly 2 studs for mounting required. They give you of course enough bolts for 3 studs.

Course im not one to read instructions much but when mounting a expensive TV to something I want to make sure I do it right.

They give you 6 bolts because the brick/stone instructions call for that many.

Back