• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winxp Ntfs and patition magic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chilledout

Registered
I am getting a new sony laptop that comes with windows xp home edition prinstaled and i have a few questions to do with how i want to set up the system.

will i have to register this installation or will it be an oem version?

is it likely to have Fat32 or ntfs preinstalled?

is the new partition magic compatible with the ntfs filesystem in windows xp?

I ask you this as when i set up systems i partion the hardrive into two partions one for the system and cryticle utilities like Nortan anti virus and the other for programs and downloads other stuff like that. Thereason i do this is that evnen with an installation of win xp taking up 2GB of space i can use noton ghost to create a backup image that will fit onto a cd.

This therfore means that nomatter what hapens to my system i will never have to sit through the winsows setup and spend hours
installing drivers unless i upgrade my system.

I have been doing this for a while now and good old norton ghost has never let me down.

I also recomend doing this to anyone who hates wasting there life setting up windows because of system corution etc.

is it likely to have Fat32 or ntfs preinstalled?

is the new partition magic compatible with the ntfs filesystem in windows xp?

Can't say for sure, but I would bet it will be NTFS, cause if your hard drive isn't formated in FAT32 when you install XP, XP wont give you a choice between the two. At least that was my experience.
I would also bet that you'll have to register XP.

And "Yes", Partition Magic 7 is compatible with XP's NTFS.

I've been thinking about Norton's Gost program myself.
Seems like I have to reformat way too often cause I've screwed something up that I, nor my utilities can fix.
And like you said about installing drivers, I'm getting sick of it, especially with XP's finicky a#$!

Sorry I can't be positive about more, but I do have PM7 and it's compatible. :)

From what I've been hearing XP Home Edition does not include NTFS, therefore your most likely stuck with FAT32.

The home version is what I have, and it has NTFS because the first time I formated using XP, it would only format in NTFS. I found that (as far as I know) you have to format prior to installing XP to use something other then NTFS.

Windows XP DOES have NTFS capabilities. IF you upgrade a previous version of windows that was FAT32, it recommends changing to NTFS, as well as on fresh installs (which I recommend over an upgrade), it will suggest formating to NTFS. In my opinion, NTFS appears to be more stable, and seems to be the opinion of many others I have seen posting here.

Yes, Partion Magic 7 works well with drives that are NTFS or FAT32, (I even had one of each for a while until I could backup the FAT32 partition so I could convert it). PM7 is a great tool if you are using large drives, partitioning drives say 80, 100, or even 160 (one I have is partioned into 3 50's). Defrags run quicker on smaller partions as well as on NTFS formated drives. (I am vearing off subject...will be quiet now!)

Back