• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook: Buy or Wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Netbooks

The Samsung seems to be a very nice quality.

The Asus N10J-A1 and N10J-A2 both have nvidia card
built into them, both of these netbooks also have HDMI out
(which is a very nice feature) but they also run $650-$750

The Samsung NC120 (Coming Soon) has a 10.1 inch screen and a full sized 12 inch keyboard. Also has 6cell battery which states on Samsung's website that it has 10.5 hours of battery life. Typical Atom 1.6, 1gb ram 667mhz.

The Samsung NC20 (coming Soon) has a 12 inch screen, 97% full size keyboard, but it has the VIA Nano™ ULV Processor U2250 (1.3 GHz) (which is not as good as the Atom 1.6) But it does have 1gb of ddr2 ram 800mhz
compared to the NC120 667mhz ram.

I think that the NC120 is the way to go .. Once that comes out it will have 10.5 hours of battery life (More realistic maybe 7-10hours) and a full size keyboard.
Also has high-quality sound thanks to the integrated SRS 2.1ch system. It features 2 x 1.5 watt stereo speakers with a dedicated sub-woofer. Comes with XP Home SP3

Link Here

My only problem with netbooks these days are they do not have dedicated video and they do not have HDMI OUT.. except the Asus N10J-A1 and A2.. But I do not think I can justify spending $650-$750 on a netbook.

I might just buy the Samsung N120 when it comes out.. Should be a nice machine.. better battery life, better sound than the NC10 and a full size keyboard

I have never used the MSI Wind but it looks nice, I heard it is not as solid as the Samsung offerings and the battery life is not that great even for their 6 cell..
EEE Pc's feel cheap (the one's I saw in the store)
Samsung is the way to go

**Update: The Samsung NC20 is on Newegg.com with a pre-order price of $549 .. I hope the NC120 is cheaper when it comes out!!!****

**The Samsung NC110 is on newegg for $469.. I hope the NC120 is under $500 also when it comes out*

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
if you want a dedicated video card and performance and screens 12in and larger just buy a legit 13in notebook.... IMO netbooks are 10in screens n under.

BTW qualcom is working on a SINGLE chip solution (cpu, gpu IO HUB) for netbooks. gotta love inside sources... but it isnt gonna be out for a while.

The Nvidia based netbook went over my budget by about $250 and my needs do not include better 3D gaming or more heat. The newer Samsung's NC120, NC20, and I believe NC110 all have GLOSSY LCD screens and that's one of 2 reasons my HP Mini went back. Yes, movies looked nicer in a completely dark room, but nothing else does and it strained my very light sensitive eyeballs.

The matte panel on the NC10 may not be the most sharp image in the darkness, but actually using the notebook outside or anywhere w/ light for that matter more than makes up for this loss. The point of this device's email, doc work, and a light multimedia which it absolutely shines in. Just be sure to get the white unless you're a fan of fingerprint editions. :D

GlossY?

I don't know how you can confirm that all the new samsung netbooks have glossy screens.. samsung's website does not tell you .. Where are you getting this info from?

Glossy Screen

So if the NC120 has a glossy screen, is this really a deal breaker? It is not worth it to get a glossy screen??????

So as of now we should just buy the NC10 and upgrade the ram and hard drive ?

Keyboard fail. Honestly guys, go check out the Asus 1000HE or the Samsung NC10. Those the are only 2 I would consider at this time after looking through plenty of reviews and actually getting my hands on those, the Acer Aspire One 10", HP Mini 10", and the lame Target/BB Asus w/ terrible keyboards.

I'm typing this from the NC10 in W7 via my Storm. Comfort, portability, and features all wrapped up in a bite size package. :D

N120

Samsung N120 is now OUT!
newegg.com has it for $459

full 12 inch keyboard
6 cell 10.5hrs battery life
Better speakers with subwoofer
LED backlit Display

I will be buying this soon.. instead of the NC10

N120

I called Samsung and they first off said they see nothing about the screen being GLossy

**Update:

I called Samsung and they emailed me this:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics. We appreciate your interest in our newly released line of Notebook PC's.

Yes, the N120 can be upgraded to a maximum system memory of 2GB.

So the final word from Samsung is it can be upgraded to 2gb, but they will not help us or support us.. and they do not recommend it!

Now I don't Know

I am not sure now if I want to buy it for sure..
The Dell XPS M1330 is selling used for around $500
with HDMI Out

I'm probably going to pick up an Asus 1000HE. I'd love to get the Samsung NC10 but no one sells them in Canada :(. Even newegg.ca doesn't list the NC10 and it's on the US site.

I going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram since ram is dirt cheap. Apparently people are running WOW at 15-20 fps on the 1000HE, as well as a bunch of other older gen games. I googled netbook gaming and there's sites with lists of working games.

i wanted a netbook alot , but couldn't justify 400 dollar internet browser , i pondered and pondered , now am awaiting a XPS m 1330 with dedicated graphics 200 gig hard drive 4 gigs of memory and a dvd drive , 2 mp camera ,finger print reader all in a tiny package plus a nine cell battery , i was trying to justify a netbook but then what if i need to use a dvd drive ohhh yeah gonna need to get an external for that i thought,but that defeats the purpose if u have to drag all the accessories for that thing to be helpful to you at all , but then after carefully considering i came to conclusion that netbook isnt really for me i want more out of my gadgets , netbook is very limited the only thing u can compare it to is another netbook , anything else has it beaten .

ohhh yeah full size keyboard and a 2.2GHz dual core :D , i cant wait to get my new baby :)

I use mine for:

-Browsing
-RDP into the desktop
-Gaming in bed (I finally bought and played Starcraft!!)
-Connecting to the TV and watching my shows (Heroes, 24, Lost, Smallville, and Sarah Connor)
-LANing by the lake w/ 2 other guys and playing Starcraft outside :D (yeah, we geeked it up real nice)
-Paying bills, creating documents, job searching, etc
-Doing all of this in the middle of a park w/ my bluetooth mouse and bluetooth DUN connection to Verizon via the Storm (1Mbps down webs real nice!)
-Playing w/ W7, OSX, Ubuntu netbook edition
-Taking to folks homes and helping fix their pcs

All of this for $400 w/ awesome battery life in a package that ways less than 3lbs and can be used on a lap. For my situation, a 1330, or any other notebook notebook just would not do. Good luck w/ that Dell, it was a pile of **** when I did tech support for them last year. If at all possible, check out the Studio line, they came out just before I left and we had MUCH less trouble w/ them.

Back