• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook: Buy or Wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use mine for:

-Browsing
-RDP into the desktop
-Gaming in bed (I finally bought and played Starcraft!!)
-Connecting to the TV and watching my shows (Heroes, 24, Lost, Smallville, and Sarah Connor)
-LANing by the lake w/ 2 other guys and playing Starcraft outside :D (yeah, we geeked it up real nice)
-Paying bills, creating documents, job searching, etc
-Doing all of this in the middle of a park w/ my bluetooth mouse and bluetooth DUN connection to Verizon via the Storm (1Mbps down webs real nice!)
-Playing w/ W7, OSX, Ubuntu netbook edition
-Taking to folks homes and helping fix their pcs

All of this for $400 w/ awesome battery life in a package that ways less than 3lbs and can be used on a lap. For my situation, a 1330, or any other notebook notebook just would not do. Good luck w/ that Dell, it was a pile of **** when I did tech support for them last year. If at all possible, check out the Studio line, they came out just before I left and we had MUCH less trouble w/ them.

you game in your netbook?

well i picked up asus eee netbook from zipzoomfly. i will get it thursday then it might be fun

Right...so is there a netbook group in Steam? :D

Nebuchadnazzar: Thank you so much for that list! It's huge! I've got Starcraft going now, but Trackmania and perhaps Deus Ex will be next.

I'm a student in college and am looking for a netbook for:

-battery
-portability
-word
-music storage
-maybe some light games
-internet

that is the basics. should i wait till end of summer??? i like the samsung NC20 and MSI WIND

I just got an Asus 1008ha (originally had the Asus 1000he), and I like the 1008ha for everything associated with the word portability, size, weight etc. Very good specimen of a netbook. I'd recommend it specially for college. As that is what I use it for. Now upgrading the RAM and hard drive was a bit "involved" because it has to be literally taken apart, nothing that isn't doable. I popped in a 2 gig Kingston RAM and a OCZ Vertex SSD, with a fresh install of Windows 7 and I love this thing. YouTube, Hulu, Slingbox etc play just fine, even with the screen maximized. Remember it is a "netbook" after all so you can't really make it do heavy lifting.

I'm a student in college and am looking for a netbook for:

-battery
-portability
-word
-music storage
-maybe some light games
-internet

that is the basics. should i wait till end of summer??? i like the samsung NC20 and MSI WIND

if u have the money now just get it there is always going to be something new and better comming in the market

I grabbed a refurb EEE 900A 4GB for $149. I had read the 4GB SSD was painfully slow so I also ordered a SuperTalent 16GB SSD with 90MB read/55MB write speeds. The SuperTalent took much longer to arrive so I installed XP on the stock SSD. It was so bad I only used it 1 time to check my email on a 5 day trip. Once I got the SuperTalent installed it made an amazing improvement. The netbook is extremely fast now for basic computing tasks.

You can't beat it for $200 imo. I just wish I would have been able to get in on the new ones ZZF was selling for $160, but my refurb works and looks like new so I can't complain.

I play World of Warcraft on my MSI widn with 2gb ram upgrade and overclocked. I let my friend borrow it and she says its an upgrade in WoW from her previous laptop.

I just got an Asus 1008ha (originally had the Asus 1000he), and I like the 1008ha for everything associated with the word portability, size, weight etc. Very good specimen of a netbook. I'd recommend it specially for college. As that is what I use it for. Now upgrading the RAM and hard drive was a bit "involved" because it has to be literally taken apart, nothing that isn't doable. I popped in a 2 gig Kingston RAM and a OCZ Vertex SSD, with a fresh install of Windows 7 and I love this thing. YouTube, Hulu, Slingbox etc play just fine, even with the screen maximized. Remember it is a "netbook" after all so you can't really make it do heavy lifting.

Just bought one as well. I'll definitely do the 2gb upgrade.

How much does this thing love Win7? Did you load the 'netbook' version of it or what? Drivers issues?

A SSD would be sweet, but those vertex drives start at $139 on newegg. Hmm, sell spare raptor 150 in classies?

I am thinking about getting a couple of netbooks. My main desktop is my hardcore gaming PC and I wanted something I can take around when I go out and if I get bored, surf the web and maybe do some light gaming. I think the most graphic intensive game I'd put on there would be WoW or something like that. The 2nd one will be for my son so he can do his homework on it.

Now, my question is this, which are the netbooks that you can upgrade the ram to 2GB and should I go with a SSD or a bigger 5400 HD?

Thanks in advance.

I freaking love my all matte white NC10. The screen, the keys, the lack of heat or noise, the build quality, it's freaking awesome. I stuck a nice 2GB CL4 stick in there from Crucial, but haven't gotten a fancy SSD yet.

EDIT: OT/ Holy crap, I really made a mess of my sig, lol. That's ridiculous and really clutters up the forums, haah! I guess it does answer any questions, but still...that's gotta go. I'll leave it up so you guys can all laugh and make fun of it for a few days.

Also wondering, how do you load Win7 without an optical drive. USB dvdrom, copy win7 to usb stick, network install, fit drive into desktop..

And I thought Win7 Home Basic / Starter had a 1GB ram CAP..

Back