• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone got a generator? haha

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

So far I am in the dark for 3 hrs with no power. Socal edison says its a major outage with 3 cities affected. My poor farm is doing nothing. Oh yeah and they said they have no idea when it will be back up due to equiptment failure. Bah, should have stayed at work.

Atleast I got my cell tethered to my laptop for oc forum goodness. :beer:

So far I am in the dark for 3 hrs with no power. Socal edison says its a major outage with 3 cities affected. My poor farm is doing nothing. Oh yeah and they said they have no idea when it will be back up due to equiptment failure. Bah, should have stayed at work.

Atleast I got my cell tethered to my laptop for oc forum goodness. :beer:
I've got one you can borrow - but you'd need a heck of an extension cord to reach it here in Upstate NY. :eek:

Generators can be a bad Idea for computers (at least the little gasoline hondas are). There was a power outage at my folks house a number of years ago that lasted a week. (my grandfather the genius (or idiot that he was) hooked up a generator directly up to the circuit breaker to power the living room circuit. He said he did it in such a way that if power came back on that nothing would explode. Other than the fact that he was right and nothing exploded when the power came back on, my power conditioning UPS died a day before the power came back on :( . (I was using my P4 to crunch SETI during the outage).

I can't imagine what the dirty power would do to a computer connected directly to the generator.

Generators can be a bad Idea for computers (at least the little gasoline hondas are). There was a power outage at my folks house a number of years ago that lasted a week. (my grandfather the genius (or idiot that he was) hooked up a generator directly up to the circuit breaker to power the living room circuit. He said he did it in such a way that if power came back on that nothing would explode. Other than the fact that he was right and nothing exploded when the power came back on, my power conditioning UPS died a day before the power came back on :( . (I was using my P4 to crunch SETI during the outage).

I can't imagine what the dirty power would do to a computer connected directly to the generator.

We had a ice storm that took power out for 10 days years back. Tried the generator directly to the computers and they would not boot up. Hooked the generator to a APC 2000 UPS and then to the computers and all ran OK but the UPS was having a fit beeping and humming. At least nothing blew up.

we lost power for a week this winter. weve got 3 generators, a beastly homebuilt inline 4 cylinder deisel, an onan deisel, and a kubota gas. it helps that my father is a professional electrician so hooking directly to our outside panel wasnt a problem, none of our computers minded either.

It's because most generators generate AC current in a way that forms a square wave, instead of the nice sine wave that you'll get from the power company. Power supplies do NOT like the square waves. At the very least, a good UPS should be used. Better to have an actual line conditioner - and - a good UPS.

I have a line conditioner, but generally just decide that the power outage is a good reason to take a break from the computer anyway.

Back