• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applications uses what serial ports?! Software not working with hardware correctly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

Applications uses what serial ports?! Software not working with hardware correctly!

Hi guys, I am having a lot of problems with my serial ports. I recently tried to install a Lacrosse Weather Station that connects to the computer via serial port.

The software opens up and then greys out, saying that the serial port I want to use is already in use by another application or program or whatever. All four com ports show the same issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, to no avail. I have turned off such applications like my UPS which use the serial port, to no avail.

I had my UPS connected to the rear of my computer at first, I unplugged it, turned it off in the config sys and then rebooted, the weather station worked fine. Then after the next reboot everything stopped working again. I tried to disconnect the base station from the serial port upon rebooting, it didn't work, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. I tried using different software, it didn't work. I made sure the UPS was still disconnected, it is... So I am up against a wall here, I really want to use the serial port connection for my weather station, but no matter what I do, I cannot figure out what is going on.

How can I determine what serial ports are in use or change them? Someone recommended procmon.exe to monitor the processes, but I have no idea what I am doing with the program, when I do a search for serial, so much stuff comes up I have no idea what I am looking at. There must be some conflicts in my system, but what bothers me is that it was working and now it is not, and I worry in the future I will continually have isses after rebooting.

Can someone help me? Thanks

Back