• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Photo Gallery says all my pictures are corrupt!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tamriilin

Registered
Whenever I try to open a picture in Windows Photo Gallery, be it .jpg, .png, or .gif, it always opens windows photo gallery, but instead of the picture, it has the error "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. The file appears to be damaged or corrupted." However, I can see the thumbnails in windows explorer, and when I open the picture up in Nero picture viewer, Office picture viewer, etc, I can see the picture fine.

It doesn't matter where the picture is, photo gallery just won't open it.

I would use Office Picture Viewer or Nero Picture Viewer, but I don't like either of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

Here's a link to a screenshot of the problem (didn't want to tag it because it's 1280x1024, or close to it):
[CODE]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tamriilin_omani/cantopen.jpg[/CODE]

Will try it now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The reason I hadn't already done this was because I didn't know you could even download it from anywhere...

EDIT: Nope, still didn't fix anything.

Last edited:
Where are the images located that you're trying to open?

My first post:
tamriilin said:
It doesn't matter where the picture is, photo gallery just won't open it.

I.E., I've tried to open photos from every location imaginable on my hard drives, but Vista's photo gallery will not open them.

Trombe said:
Can you open them in another program and resave them?

Yes, I could, but that would take weeks as I have hundreds of megabytes worth of pictures.

Also, I don't see how this could be the problem, as this even happens with pictures I've -just- saved.

Last edited:
This is a longshot, but here goes... Many picture viewer programs place a small file in the folder with the pics. This file provides thumbnail information and information on how you have set these pics to be viewed...

I've never had this problem with P.G. with Vista, but is it possible there is a corrupt tag in the folder that holds the pictures? If so, I would assume this is a hidden file, and you would have to set the preferences to show hidden files.

Once you find this tag file... (I don't know what it's called)... you could delete it, and and Photo Gallery would recreate it the first time you opened the folder again.

I don't know... reachin' here, but it's a thought.

This is a longshot, but here goes... Many picture viewer programs place a small file in the folder with the pics. This file provides thumbnail information and information on how you have set these pics to be viewed...

I've never had this problem with P.G. with Vista, but is it possible there is a corrupt tag in the folder that holds the pictures? If so, I would assume this is a hidden file, and you would have to set the preferences to show hidden files.

Once you find this tag file... (I don't know what it's called)... you could delete it, and and Photo Gallery would recreate it the first time you opened the folder again.

I don't know... reachin' here, but it's a thought.
You're referring to thumbs.dll, I think - that's only for certain items that can't be opened with windows photo gallery (i.e. music folder album covers), I think.

In short: I don't have thumbs.dll in -any- of my folders.

Thanks for the reply though.

are the files in different languages? i can never open my pictures with Chinese titles cos it gives some error looking like

"??? cannot be opened"

do you have photoshop or anything that you can open the pics with? or any other program

are the files in different languages? i can never open my pictures with Chinese titles cos it gives some error looking like

"??? cannot be opened"

do you have photoshop or anything that you can open the pics with? or any other program

Someone already asked this...

Yes, I do, but they're all far inferior to windows photo gallery.

If you can recommend me a good picture viewer that supports .gif files and lets me browse pictures using the arrow keys, please do!

Did you run chkdsk. It's possible a file or folder is corrupt and could just need fixing.

Back