• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU suggestion needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

I have a dell optiplex thats btx, so I am stuck with only single slot pci-e cards. What would be my best bet, ppd wise? Something like an 8800gt or is there something better?

dfonda, are there any single-slot 260's? If so, I would definitely recommend it.

I know there are some 9800GTX+ models that are single-slot. I don't know what the PPD is for them, but I would assume that it is more than the 8800GT.

IMO either a 9800gt or 8800gt.

there is 9800gtx single slot cards?

yea I was thinking there was some cards out there I haven't seen :D

jonspd

Break out the dremel and make a GTS 250 fit in there. :beer: Or better yet, build your own case to fit your parts in and then buy a GTS 250 or better card and put that in there.

Break out the dremel and make a GTS 250 fit in there. :beer: Or better yet, build your own case to fit your parts in and then buy a GTS 250 or better card and put that in there.

replace the computer, or get a waterblock. Win Win. :santa:

If I could mod it, Id go for a 260 or better, but I cant, its an extra work one. I was allowed to liberate it from storage since there's like 8 there, lol. If I bought it off them I could but I'd sooner save that money to finish my quad gpu.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im gonna check out the gts 250s and 9800gtx to see if any will work.

If I could mod it, Id go for a 260 or better, but I cant, its an extra work one. I was allowed to liberate it from storage since there's like 8 there, lol. If I bought it off them I could but I'd sooner save that money to finish my quad gpu.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im gonna check out the gts 250s and 9800gtx to see if any will work.

Oh wow sniper you're from diamond bar eh? not that far from me at all! instead of "liberate" it from storage, make one disappear? :D and then break out the dremel and mod it! If its not yours why would you spend money on a video card for it when you can just save that money for your quad gpu?

Well I figure I can easily move that gpu to another rig down the road. I'll still be working on my quad (soon to have 2 gpus). Its just cheaper to use the dell case and most parts. Thats why I wanted to see what is the most powerful single slot gpu, so even though its stuck with one its still a nice ppd boost.

Well i don't really see a problem with nvidia renaming the G92 to GTS 250. It's basically replacing the segment that the 8800GT/GTS 9800GT is or was. its not as if the GTS 250 was claimed to be superior and cost $50 more than the 9800GT.

I can't believe they are going to run another G92 series. I figured the 9800's would be the end on that line, and crippled 200's would take over. :screwy:

The 200 cores are physically too large for them to cripple and then release at a lower price and still have them be profitable.

The primary reason the g92 was rebranded was to give the 200 series a low end punch to compete with the 4850/70 after their recent or soon to be recent price drops. However, the 250GTX does compete with those cards perfectly well at a similar price point, so some feel that the rebranding was legitimate.

Opponents to this practice accuse that this was done to mislead under informed customers, which is a completely legitimate argument.

Back