• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 to 5gz, is that even possible? And can I do a safe 4500 with 1.4v and load temp below 65C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for like 1 minute then BSOD ( does that count?) :shrug:

There's no way for me to avoid being blunt, so I won't be. It's obvious to some of us that you have quite the propensity to pull stuff out of your ***, and that this is no different. You're not fooling anyone...so there's no point for you to make up such lies. It's not like anyone even cares really.

dude this is a message board, if i was going to LIE.. i would be saying Oh yea my temps are like -10C while hitting like 6.9GHZ! but i didnt upload to CPUZ validator.

Yes its the internet , and you cant really prove anything , but why would I lie about something so meaning-less and childish?

600Mhz FSB on a E8400....

Sure no problem but the FSB isn't controlled by the chip itself, its the NB Chip that is the limiting factor with the FSB.

NB = FSB/Memory Controller
CPU = Well just the multiplier

NB is really what determines what speed the CPU can go mostly besides the obvious voltage increases that the CPU can take to reach a certain speed.

Well, I think it would be fun to try to hit 5.0ghz, just to get a screen shot I could get to 4.73 with 1.34ishvcore, so maybe when I get my TRUE lapped and installed I can try again.

There's no way for me to avoid being blunt, so I won't be. It's obvious to some of us that you have quite the propensity to pull stuff out of your ***, and that this is no different. You're not fooling anyone...so there's no point for you to make up such lies. It's not like anyone even cares really.

I dont think a 5ghz SS is that out of line I have been in windows @ 4.95 on water.

I have a 5.1GHz screenshot on air with an e8400. That's not the point. I'm just pointing out that the fact that this guy has lied on several occasions and passed off other peoples' work as his own. He's obviously fabricating this "5.05GHz on phase" as well, as he still hasn't returned to this thread to explain himself, and probably never will.

Sorry to the OP for the ot comments but there's no reason to just allow someone to constantly lie about things that they've never done.

Again Ill say, get an E8600 if you want to hit 5ghz. Its just much easier. Yes these chips can go 600+ FSB, but its not just the NB that plays a part, you must have a CHERRY chip, the proper ram (and most likely, only 2x1gb sticks of some badass stuff), and proper board.

Glad to see DarkFury has been caught, ive wanted to call BS for a long time on his posts, but never had proof :(

Can I see an E8400 screenshot at 5.0+ ghz? with ram settings? I guess it would be difficult to prove that it was on air vs. other cooling but I would be attempting on air. I think I am a long way from extreme cooling. I have been looking for some screenshots on sites but have not seen any. Would be neat to see one.

This is mine. As you can tell by coretemp the air was quite cold. :p I have another screenshot of 5 flat at "regular" temps around 45 but can't seem to find the usb stick I put it on. This is a really bad E8400 E0 though, I've had a couple of C0's that were as good or maybe better. One of my E8600's was 3D stable at 4.9GHz, and could screen past 5.1 with 1.5v or so. The nicer E8400's should be capable of close to that...and not need the kind of voltage I had to pound into this one.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 90
Awesome Gautam. Thank you for posting. So it can and has been done. I will have to give it a try once I get my system set. I should probably pull out some of the ram though, 8 gigs likely will not help my efforts. I still have some lapping to do as well which should help. Thanks again Gautam. Not practical for everyday use but it is fun to see how high one can get to.

I think 4500 would be more than safe. My E8400 is currently at 4275 (475x9) @ 1.3v. I'm going to try 500x9 at the same vcore later today when I get off work. This chip has been a beast.

Update:

I tried 9x500 @ 1.3vcore and it bsod 5 minutes into windows; bumped it up to 1.376 and one core failed 15min into prime. going back down to 4.27 where its 12hr prime stable @ 1.3v

Last edited:
Back