• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400, overclocking/temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyler.moriarty

Currently i have a small over clock just using my bios auto overclock feauture of 10%. Puts my processor at 2933mhz. I have a p5n-d mother board with 0810 bios version.

My temps are currently around 39/31/38/38 at idle, and at max load on a prime95 test, it hits 51/42/45/46, or around that. I know my temps are still well within limit, and i think by turning up my fans on my antec 900 i could get my processor to run much colder.

Either way im looking for maybe some base settings or screens of where to set my vcore voltages to do a manual overclock. i want it to run stable at around 3.4 ghz (even tho at 2.933 it runs farcry 2 like it isnt even there).

Anyways if anyone has this motherboard/processor combo and knows good overclocking settings please help me out, completly new to over clocking.

Tyler

:welcome: to the forums.

I have a Q9400 in an Asus P5Q-D. If you listed your components or make a signature it would help as to giving you help on the OC. I'll stop back this evening after work and see if I can help some.

Larry

Subscribing to this. I've had fun pushing this E2180 but I'm considering going to Microcenter today and grabbing a Q9400 to see what it can do. Good luck on with your chip. :)

I think the first thing I would do was to try an OC with just 2 sticks of ram so you can eliminate the Ram from the OC somewhat. I think someone with your board may need to chime in. I could list my settings, but they would not do you much good at this point.

Larry

I know that with the 10% auto over clock feature on the board it runs stable 24/7, ran a 15 hours stresstest with no errors.

When i upped it to 20% auto over clock, it froze up on start up. I know that i need to go into manual settings to adjust my ram voltages as well instead of auto-clocking. Thats why i was looking for someone with settings for not only there ram but there cpu as well.

Tyler

Q9400 2x2gb 1406 bios Settings at 8x480 10/07/08

FSB Strap = 333
PCI-E = 100
Dram Freq. = 961
Static = Disabled
Training = Disabled
OC Charge = Auto
Ai Clock = Medium
Ai Booster = 10
All Disabled
1.28750v CPU
0.670v 0/2 GTL
0.675v 1/3 GTL
1.56v PLL
1.28v VTT
2.04v Ram
1.34v NB
0.640 NB GTL
Auto
Auto
LLC = Enabled
D,D,A,A
CPU Margin; Optimal

These are older settings I have used with the stuff in my Signature, except this was with pc1000 G.Skill ram, not the ram in my sig. Some I have changed but you can get the general drift with these. I run my ram on a divider now, but the 1:1 ratio is a good point to start out to OC.

Larry

Im guessing by your fsb number your talking a 4ghz clock, im looking for something quite a bit smaller, 3.4/3.6 and no higher. I dont want to mess anything up on air cooling but want the performance from newer games.

The idea is to get the best you can, those voltages he used look very safe, and the cpu should keep cold enough at 1.28Vcore for air cooling still, just take it a step at a time rather than rushing it, otherwise it will get confusing on which voltage will need adjusting. Using 1.3625 or less than that should make the cpu last a good 5-15 years.

Back