• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wininet and Wininit ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

What is Wininet.dll and Wininit.exe's utility ? I mean what's their point ? What do these files do ? BTW, I'm talking about Wininet.ini from Windows\System and Wininit.exe from C:\Windows.
And what file or program reconstructs and loads the original Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files in Windows ME ?

Last edited:
Wininet.dll handles TCP/IP functions. Wininit.exe only runs prior to loading Windows and handles the writing of updates to the Win.ini file.

Autoexec.bat and config.sys aren't loaded in WinME. They can actually be deleted and both should not have any contents.

If you're receiving errors with these when you reboot, you prbably have a virus.

Thanks Jon ! ONe more question, whenever I change something in Autoexec.bat and config.sys files, a program deletes the changes I made and puts back the original files after a restart. (in Windows ME that is) What's that program ?

Not sure exactly but probably has alot to do with the Wininit.exe and Win.ini file.

You could try changing your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to Read Only after editing them...that might do the trick.

Nope, didn'T work, it just put the renamed the autoexec.bat I moddified autoexec.bak, and recreated another one, without my changes. I think it has something to do with IO.sys, as it's size is different from the version of Win98 or 95.

One more question : where in the registry does it say to load Windows ? I made a search on Boot and Win.com, but nothing good was found.

What is it you're trying to do exactly? I'm not following.

Editing the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys are going to do absolutely nothing for you in WinME when booting since WinME took out all legacy DOS support. You have to download some sort of patch to get it back.

The registry doesn't load Windows. Windows loads the registry and it's initialized early in the loading process. Just after kernel initialization and before loading the shell and device drivers. All the registry does is hold the information for which the shell needs to operate correctly with the rest of you hardware including user preferences, program information, etc.

I am trying to add some sort of line to the autoexec.bat file so that at every bootup it deletes the Temporary Internet Files and History files. Didn't work, so I tried adding the line in the registry, but the program would freeze before erasing the files. And for the "windows loading" thing, I just wanted to know where it said to load Windows, as maybe if I could modify these files, it wouldn't recreate the original autoexec file, and leave the modified one there.

PS: Thanks for the info !

Back