• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16GB CF card + CF to SATA converter = SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll be doing something similar with an IDE adapter and a flash card, one thing to consider is whether or not it can present itself to the OS as a fixed drive, if not, multiple isses with getting an OS installed and bootable.

Your speeds will not approach even the slowest SSDs, and without a wear algorithm, those cards will break pretty quick

Yeah, if you are doing it as a cheaper SSD alternative, it definitely will not be that. The advantages of SSD (Other than power consumption and shock capability, is the speed of the drives. (Or at least that is usually the reason people here at OCF will use them) And as dicecca said, SSDs have firmware that writes evenly to all parts of the flash memory to extend the life of it (The flash chips have a finite number of lifetime write cycles).

The write speeds of the CF card are listed at 25MB/s Read and 20MB/s Write
The least expensive SSD I see on newegg.com is about $75 USD (~£52). And that one has 150MB/s Read and 100MB/s Write speeds.

If you are just doing it to play around, then hey, why not. But if you are trying to get a cheap SSD, for the usual reasons people go SSD, this wouldn't be it. You could buy an old 80GB harddrive and have much better performance for less $ (£) :)

but when will they be the norm....like sata hdd's are now.....
There are laptops (netbooks, etc) that use them. It will be a LONG time before they pass spinning hard drives though. Not sure why you would want to wait that long though.

Your speeds will not approach even the slowest SSDs, and without a wear algorithm, those cards will break pretty quick

In our case we are hoping to replace the horrid 1.8" 4200rpm HDs (extremely expensive) in our thinkpads to get better life, more battery, and better (much) performance. We'll probably have to lock them once we get the image to prolong the life.

Actually got the idea off the thinkpad forums and there's a wikipedia entry as well. And the poster that said it was only 20/25 read/write speeds? Dead wrong.

Regarding the mainstream SSD comments... they are certainly attainable but the pricing is still out of my league. I took a look at a few drives in the 64-128Gb range and they are just too expensive. I want to replace my OS drive with something snappier as I am running it off of a dated 160GB WD, even my 500 and 640 drives are faster.

According to the eBay auction listing, it shows the specs of that card as 25 read/20 write. I wasn't referring to the CF adapter, just the limits of the particular CF card the OP linked.

Gotcha. I had to do quite a bit of research, there are only one or two CF cards that are capable UDMA6, which is what I'm after.

yeah, at some time in 2009 i want to get my os on a ssd, mby wen windows 7 arrives i will make an effort to get a proper ssd
currently my sata's are the bottleneck...any waiting time is all because of my hdd! annoying! we spend 100's on processors and overclocking, yet all along it wont speed up ur os :(

yeah, at some time in 2009 i want to get my os on a ssd, mby wen windows 7 arrives i will make an effort to get a proper ssd
currently my sata's are the bottleneck...any waiting time is all because of my hdd! annoying! we spend 100's on processors and overclocking, yet all along it wont speed up ur os :(

IK right!? It's killing me but I simply can't justify doing it yet.

There are laptops (netbooks, etc) that use them. It will be a LONG time before they pass spinning hard drives though. Not sure why you would want to wait that long though.

The progress in the SSD department has been quite rapid recently. In perhaps a year's time, it might reach its near maximum potential.

That's one reason to hold on to our current HDDs.

Back