• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT in Optiplex 745

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

I have a optiplex that just sits under my desk. Currently it has the dell 305W psu (+12A 16amp and +12B 18amp). Its running a c2d and a 160GB hd. Could I possibly run a 8800GT 512mb? I'm just trying to figure out if I can run the card to fold or see if I have to pick up a new psu (rather not if I can squeeze by).

Minimum amperage required is 22 amps... Looks like a no go without a new PSU, and that would require some modification since dell uses proprietary connectors for PSUs

dell uses proprietary connectors for PSUs

Dell has used a standard ATX pinout for the past 8 years or so, with the exception of the XPS 720 which took a server-type PSU. The problem with the 745 is the physical size of the power supply. It's a strange L-shaped deal (to clear the optical drive) and it's also a little taller and a little narrower than a normal PSU. There aren't any direct aftermarket replacements, nor do I know of anything that could be modified to fit.

Your options are pretty much limited to a lower-end video card or a different machine, unless you want to go ghetto and run a replacement PSU externally.

I have a 8800GT with 300 watt PSU in my other PC running fine. What do you have to lose give it a try DELL makes a safe psu.:beer:

Dell has used a standard ATX pinout for the past 8 years or so, with the exception of the XPS 720 which took a server-type PSU. The problem with the 745 is the physical size of the power supply. It's a strange L-shaped deal (to clear the optical drive) and it's also a little taller and a little narrower than a normal PSU. There aren't any direct aftermarket replacements, nor do I know of anything that could be modified to fit.

Your options are pretty much limited to a lower-end video card or a different machine, unless you want to go ghetto and run a replacement PSU externally.

From looking at it, it looks to be a normal size psu. My case is a BTX case about the same size as a mid tower.. I think I've seen some with regular psus in them. Oh well I'll just stick to SMP folding on this rig.

I ended up dropping the 8800gt into a p6n diamond.

Minimum amperage required is 22 amps... Looks like a no go without a new PSU, and that would require some modification since dell uses proprietary connectors for PSUs

That's 22A on the combined rails, though. OP has 16A + 18A. Should be plenty.

If your PSU shows the +12v watts, just divide by 12 to get your amperage. ie.305w/12 = 25a. If you were reading and reporting the +12v wattage then you are fine. Otherwise you will will probably be short a little but it should run. If so you are just stressing the PSU and you would obviously increase the risk of failure. Also there are several higher watt/amperage PSUs available that are a little smaller that should fit. I recently replaced one in an old Sony and it had 26-28a +12v. I think it was an Antec but don't really remember. Just that the original replacement PSU was too big and had to be returned for something smaller.

My case is a BTX case about the same size as a mid tower.. I think I've seen some with regular psus in them. Oh well I'll just stick to SMP folding on this rig.

Oh, you know what, I'd forgotten that there was a tower version of the 745, the only ones I've ever seen were the little slimline things. Yes, the tower versions do take a standard PSU, no problem, I've replaced a couple in Optiplex 755 midtowers, which is probably the exact same case.

Back