• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts every few days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReD43

Registered
I didnt think it was anything to worry about at first but its been recurring and I'm worried in the long term it might cause a serious problem

I built a new rig a few weeks ago and it seems to run fine. I leave my computer on 24/7 and every few days usually when i play games my computer will restart randomly with no warning. All system temps are fine, i monitor them closely so thats not whats causing the reboots.

Everytime my computer reboots the system clock is reset 1 hour back so im guessing it has something to do with the mobo/bios but i'm not too sure what to do about it.

if anyone has any solutions or opinions on this it would be appreciated

Have you update BIOS on your mobo? Read your manual and you can find latest BIOS on manufacturers website.

Are you overclocking?

I didnt think it was anything to worry about at first but its been recurring and I'm worried in the long term it might cause a serious problem

I built a new rig a few weeks ago and it seems to run fine. I leave my computer on 24/7 and every few days usually when i play games my computer will restart randomly with no warning. All system temps are fine, i monitor them closely so thats not whats causing the reboots.

Everytime my computer reboots the system clock is reset 1 hour back so im guessing it has something to do with the mobo/bios but i'm not too sure what to do about it.

if anyone has any solutions or opinions on this it would be appreciated

If your overclocking than you system may not be stable, run a stability tester like prime95 to check every time you change the settings. If your not overclocking, various hardware problems can cause instability such as a need for a better power supply, bad Ram and bios errors. If you updated BIOS than try to downgrade to your previous version. If you didn't, perhaps you should consider an update.

Like stated above please advise us if you are overclocking, because that changes the scenario.

What psu are you running? and also what memory are you using?

Generally random restarts are caused by these two pieces of hardware. Not always, but its a good place to start.

Try running memtest 86 to rule out RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/

thanks for the replies everyone

i should have posted my specs in the original post, sorry that i didnt but here they are

intel e7400 cpu
asus p5q motherboard
4 gb pc6400 ocz reaper ram (2 sticks)
600W ocz modxtreme power supply
sapphire radeon 4850 512 mb video card
WD 320gb hard drive
windows xp pro

Nothing is overclocked and temps are all fairly cool

speedfan reads system @ 30C, CPU @ 35C and both cores at 40C when under load and fairly lower when idle

video card runs at 40 idle and up to 55 under load

I havent updated my BIOS at all. this was my first build and everything went so smoothly when i put it together that i didnt think i needed to...i just installed my OS and video/sound drivers.

I will update my BIOS and run the memtest tommorow. thanks again

Back