• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best free antivirus??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I have a co-worker that is asking what the best option would be as far as f ree antivirus/spyware protection. She currently has some paid subscription to something else, I believe its the Norton Internet Suite. It will expire soon and she is looking for some free alternatives (Avira, Avast. AVG, etc). What would you guys recommend she get? I personally have always recommended AVG in situations like this, but she asked about Avira and such.

So what is the best free antivirus/antispyware software? Any recommendations?

When I used free, and when I put AV on other people's machines, I usually use Avira. The only gripe is the Ad popup that shows when it updates. But if you have something other than XP home, you can disable that popup. And then it's a really great AV program.

AVG is also OK, but I've actually had 2 different people's computers come back to me after they got a virus on a system with AVG. So that put a sour taste in my mouth. Although the people, from which those AVG systems came, seem to seek out virii and find new ways of screwing up their computers every time. :)

"What? This popup says that if I open it, I'll get a horrible, horrible virus. ...But there's a picture of a girl in a bikini, so I think I'll open it anyway. ahhh, Mike can fix it, he's not doing anything!" :D

Back