• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I overcome 2gb partition limit of FAT16?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

I have googled til my hands hurt and still can't find a way to get a 8gb sd card formated in the older fat16 file format. I know it has a 2gb limit but there has to be a way to overcome this. Well I figured if anyone could possibly answer this or atleast tell me its impossible it would be u guys. Thanks.

Unfortunately the device i'm trying to use the SD card in doesn't support any formats other than fat16. Its an atc2000 helmet camera if ya wanna check it out. Pretty nice camera for riding the atv but having to put in a new 2gb card every hour or so sucks.

If its a limit, its a limit for a reason. The guys implementing fat16 weren't sitting around one day and one guy popped up and said "You know what.. I think I'm gonna say that 2gb is the limit. It wont be real, but people wont know. And I'll make a back door where you can bypass the limit.. I'm so sneaky"

Every architecture has a limit at some point. Fat16 = extremely old (in the computer world).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hack my fat32 partition to make it utilize 128gb of ram. :)

are you sure its not working because 8 gig is SDHC and your 2 gig might not be?

The 2GB definitely isn't HC. FAT16 wasn't the only difference betwen standard and HC (differences in identification strings as well), but if the device only supports FAT16 that's a pretty good indication that it doesn't take HC at all.

Back