• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the smallest PSU for 4870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

I am looking at significantly downgrading my PSU and recently realized that I do not need a 700W PSU to run my system. I am seriously thinking of getting a 480W high efficient rated 80%+ perhaps and see how that will work out. This is for the rig in my sig. I currently have my Xeon at 3.8ghz for 24/7 use. I just want to know if I can run my system on such a smaller PSU or even lower watts if possible? Thanks :beer:

Very true which is why I am looking at a much smaller one like a SeaSonic 430W for example. I just want too know how low I can go and remain functional. :beer:

I really wouldnt waste the money. Your system only takes what it uses. Getting a high eff PSU in a system that runs fine with what you go already wont really change power consumption enough to make much of a difference. Its more of a waste then anyhting unless if your going for noise reduction or something.

Keep the 700, save your money for something more worthwhile. Seriously. If the machine pulls 400 watts, then a 500w vs a 700w vs a 1000w PSU won't make a difference. The machine will still pull the same wattage. Only difference will be the efficiency of the PSU, which would be dependent on brand/model and not related in any way to wattage ratings.

I don't understand why you want a new PSU. As =ACID RAIN= and Super Nade have said, your PSU will only draw the power it needs. You can have a 15,000,000W unit and if your system only needs 438 watts, that is what it will draw.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will probably just stay with my OCZ 700W since it seems to run everything just fine. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will probably just stay with my OCZ 700W since it seems to run everything just fine. ;)

There is always room for upgrades with a higher wattage than needed psu also. Just in case you forgot lol.

Back