• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for yet another cap job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=ACID RAIN=

Acquired 2 dells - GX150 and GX270, both small form factor models.

Here are the boards. I was pulling caps off of the PIII board when it dawned on me that I could document this endeavor.

dell_caps1.jpg

Pulling caps off cold is not recommended, but I do it that way half the time anyways. If the force applies to the board instead of the cap legs, you could potentially ruin/break the solder points on the board. You have been warned :)

You can see my shipment from badcaps.net on the top left.

More to come...

Finished the 270 and it boots fine as well. PSU fan was noisy so I added some oil to the bearings. I'll have to see how that works out.

Basically for 27 bucks (caps plus shipping) I got 2 free computers :)

P4 2.8 and PIII 1.13GHz

It is safer to un-solder the caps (very easy to do, see my sig) than to yank the caps off. I would replace the caps on the VRM daughterboard first!

Agreed. These are just toss-out systems so it doesn't really matter. I could have peed on them and tossed them in the garbage (probably not in that order) and been just as happy. I'm just saying :D

I did end up walking the others out because of proximity to other components. No room to work haha.

I would have replaced the ones on the VRM but they are the same rubicons as I put in so I left them. I did really consider those two but they seem to be doing well and the system seems to be running fine with them. I know usage over time matters as with nearly any component, but again, just toss-out systems. If I sell them or something I'll be doing the VRM caps for sure. I can swap those two out in less time than it takes to heat up the iron.

Ah, yes, I've done a few of those GX270s myself. Never seen any of 'em where the VRM caps went out, but the two by the RAM slots and one by the AGP slot have gone bad on every single one I've come across.

Both those models are pretty decent backup machines once the cap issues are fixed. If the GX150 has the 815E chipset (some just had the older 815), you can stick a Tualatin in there and have a pretty nice low-power system for a server or whatever.

just wondering what the voltage and uF of the caps you had to replace were? i wanna see if they were the same as the ones i pulled recently

The only ones I remember are 6.3v. I'm at work right now so I couldn't tell you more.

Manufacturer will matter more than anything, usually.

Back