• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

logmein/remote desktop for ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

What is the best option available for a Logmein or Remote Desktop solution for Ubuntu. I know it has something similar built in which I think is just a VNC server correct? What do you guys think? What's the best route to take for something like this?

Do you need the GUI? If not, connect via SSH and use the command line. I do that from work :)

Not sure what you could use with the GUI, but I was going to suggest VNC.

Yeah I was wanting a GUI. I may end up having to do VNC I was just going to see if anyone knew of something better before I defaulted back to ssh or vnc for remote access stuff.

Understood, I won't be able to really help you much beyond that. I will be watching for ideas in here though ^_^

the best thing, especially for going over the web is NoMachine NX works on windows and linux alike.
The best solution is to login to a session locally and then never log that out. Then when you log in remotely you simply connect to the available NX session. This gives you the functionality of VNC without the lag. I have been able to use this on a 56k modem with 0 lag. Great program

Gonna have to try this out when I get home.

This may work, I still wish I could find something more similar to Logmein that would provide web based access and just run an app in the back on the machines, and work in Windows, Linux, and Mac. I have a feeling I am prob not going to find it though. Curse you logmein for getting me hooked and not providing support for linux.

They say they are going to add support shortly. But that has been "in the works" for well over a year now. Not sure why it is taking that long...

Doesn't Ubuntu have Remote Desktop built in to it? Since it is a supported addition; Ubuntu supported app. Why not use that for simplicity/

It is in System | Preferences | ...

If you have to, enable it in Edit: Menus.

Last edited:
Yeah it does but its basically just running a VNC server is all its doing. I didnt want to have to use VNC. I dont want to have to have a client loaded on the machine that I am on to be able to remotely control my machine. Thats what I like about logmein right now. I can do it from any machine with an internet conection. I guess its not a really big deal though, as posted above, logmein is supposedly preparing a linux client to be released sometime this year. I guess I'll just wait for that.

You could do X forwarding through SSH that will also work. But not quite as universal as something like logmein

Back