• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TR HR-01 Plus or Noctua NH-U12P .. does it matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

I've been eyeing these 2 for a new build. I'm going for a quiet PC (not quite silent) and hope to have passive cooling when the PC is idle, surfing, etc. Now under load, it will be an E8400 clocked up to 3.8GHz. So I'm hoping for a heatsink that is versatile with the right fan setup.

It seems the Noctua has more surface area but the HR-01 Plus has more space between the fins and 2 extra heatpipes which should bring better cooling at low airflow. Both seem to share the same quality mounting system. I haven't see any side-by-side comparisons except for one so I wondered if anyone else had some feedback. Maybe it doesn't even matter as both seem to be quality solutions.

I'm with Ninja rev.B and TR Bolt-Thru kit fanless on E8400 @3.6GHz. No problem whatsoever.
My advice is to take a look at Coolermaster Z600. Awesome performer fanless/low RPM and very good at standard airflow.

Since you do plan to overclock, use the NH-U12P because a low speed fan when under load on a overclocked processor is good assurance. The fan provided with the heat-sink will suit your application perfectly (if you don't mind colors) since Noctual fans are a rave with the silent enthusiasts on it's noise levels. I can't say for sure about it but from other people that actually had the fan, they loved it.

I've been eyeing these 2 for a new build. I'm going for a quiet PC (not quite silent) and hope to have passive cooling when the PC is idle, surfing, etc. Now under load, it will be an E8400 clocked up to 3.8GHz. So I'm hoping for a heatsink that is versatile with the right fan setup.

It seems the Noctua has more surface area but the HR-01 Plus has more space between the fins and 2 extra heatpipes which should bring better cooling at low airflow. Both seem to share the same quality mounting system. I haven't see any side-by-side comparisons except for one so I wondered if anyone else had some feedback. Maybe it doesn't even matter as both seem to be quality solutions.
Both are the top of the class in low airflow cooling - probably ~1° off each other. I'd go with the Noctua since it comes with a good quiet fan - something you'll need to provide for yourself on the HR-01Plus

Both are the top of the class in low airflow cooling - probably ~1° off each other. I'd go with the Noctua since it comes with a good quiet fan - something you'll need to provide for yourself on the HR-01Plus

Yeah you make a good point. I went for the Noctua though I'm sure I would have been happy with either for my needs.

Thanks for the replies.

Back