• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hall of fame hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Second the Model M and 3Dfx, especially the Voodoo2.

How about the Chieftec Dragon, and the similar designs. That was basically the standard in case design before aluminum cases became popular. It took all the space advantages of the old full-tower server cases, added some tool-less features and more fans, and (like it or not) it also helped popularize the whole idea of a pre-mod case, with different colors, optional windows and even completely unconventional looks in the case of the original Xaser series.

Also, the Aureal Vortex... specifically A3D. Gave rise to 3D positional sound in games, and it was significantly more advanced than its competitor, EAX, since it actually calculated audio based on 3D data and made use of reflections, rather than just using adjustable reverb like Creative did..

A man after my own heart.

I will be using my Model M keyboard until they pry it from my cold, dead hands or until it stops working. Considering that this was manufactured in 1994 and I've been using it since 2003, I somehow doubt that day will come very soon. I have yet to encounter another keyboard that matches the Model M as far as pure typing comfort and speed goes.

Also my Chieftec Dragon case has been my main case for 6+ years and the design is just so solid. The cooling is excellent, the (4) toolless fan mounts, slide out hard drive trays, and the 5.25" slide rails were features that were unmatched at the time. Alienware was using this as their case when I got mine. Plus the construction is so solid, I've dropped my case from a trolley onto the sidewalk and other than a few scratches and a tiny dent my case and (more importantly) my hardware came out unscathed. Every once in a while I consider getting a lighter case or one that uses 120mm fans for noise reduction but I always reconsider. I wouldn't feel comfortable using most modern cases as a footrest.

Haha...I started around the K5 100MHz. I would flip a switch on the back that was hooked to a jumper port on the mobo to ramp the PCI bus to 40MHz and the CPU to 133MHz so I could play music without overloading the system.

If the system booted with the jumper on, it would lower the bus speed below stock. If you waited until it got past the BIOS, it would ramp up the bus because the divider was already set.

It was great. You'd play an mp3 and it would skip, then you'd flip the switch in the middle of everything and it would play smoothly LOL

That system and my trusty VA-503+ mobo that held 3 different CPUs over time were where I got into real overclocking.

Commodore 64/128 and Apple IIe. For a lot of people, myself included, these were the first computers they got ahold of. Pretty much kick started home computing.

Haha...I started around the K5 100MHz. I would flip a switch on the back that was hooked to a jumper port on the mobo to ramp the PCI bus to 40MHz and the CPU to 133MHz so I could play music without overloading the system.

If the system booted with the jumper on, it would lower the bus speed below stock. If you waited until it got past the BIOS, it would ramp up the bus because the divider was already set.

It was great. You'd play an mp3 and it would skip, then you'd flip the switch in the middle of everything and it would play smoothly LOL

That system and my trusty VA-503+ mobo that held 3 different CPUs over time were where I got into real overclocking.

I had a couple of those VA-503+ mobo's made by FIC. They were awesome. All overclocking was done by jumpers on the mobo!

I'd nominate my old Palomino 1400+.

Not an outstanding cpu, and it didn't really overclock very well.
What it did that was outstanding was survive my direct die water cooling experiment, and continues to work to this day.
I had it solder-modded to OC, painted the metal bits with nail polish, and glued on a plastic cube top so that the core was in direct contact with the water.
The nail polish didn't hold up after a day, and I could hear it sizzling when I shut down in a panic.
One of the surface mount caps was black and carbonized severely, but it's still chugging away in my daughter's PC!!!

Ah the days when men were men and cpu's were bullet proof!

Fortron AX500-A Blue Storm PSU

Super Nade recommended this PSU to me for my first gaming rig based on a 939 Venice chip back in early 2005, and it's still humming along in my overclocked Q6600 rig in my sig! The only thing that might force me to upgrade is the limited number of SATA power connectors it has.

Since nobody has not nominated the most famous of overclockers..

Celeron (PIII class)

For it's day was an amazing little gem. It may of started out measly, and a crappy low cache.. But there were folks who got it over 1.5Ghz. Which for the time was simply amazing. Since no manufacturer at the time broke the 1Ghz barrier for the masses. It was amazing since I do not recall many proccessors. Even to this day, that get a 150%+ overclock like that gem could.
:D

Last edited:
AthlonXP 1700+ Tbred B, was probably the single best price/performance part I've bought (at the time it came out). For only $40, OC'd from 1.4 ghz to 2+ ghz on air. Back then, this was kind of like buying an e8400 E0 for $40 today.

AthlonXP 1700+ Tbred B, was probably the single best price/performance part I've bought (at the time it came out). For only $40, OC'd from 1.4 ghz to 2+ ghz on air. Back then, this was kind of like buying an e8400 E0 for $40 today.

I agree with this choice as well. Back in 2003 I bought a 1700+ and a Shuttle AN35 Ultra (another worthy piece of hardware imho, I've seen it hit 290Mhz FSB) for a total of $100 and it was pretty competitive with the higher end machines of the time. This $100 combo was in my main machine for more than two years.

Hey,
especially at the current sale price setup with a 600 w yamaha digital reciever and some tower speakers This would be a great solution to some one hardware with a small living space that wants something easy and at the very good quality ,Nice review :screwy:

the blocked female hole in IDE ribbon cables that stopped me putting them in backwards! :p that blocked hole saved me £10 (about 12 years ago) and a trip to the computer shop every time i plugged in a drive!

Seriously tho, i'll have to have a think on this one..

Back