• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hall of fame hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
This is a whimsy thread of sorts. No such hall of fame exists to my knowledge... Now if there was a hall of fame for computer parts. What parts would you induct into it. Since everything starts at some point.

What makes it worthy of hall of fame? Compared to other parts of the same type or what did it add to the computing experience in general. So please add a few details to support you nomination. No limit of part age or type. Or amount of parts you think are worthy.
So is it a mouse? A case, heatsink or even a fan controller.. Heck there maybe some ROM's that are worthy. As is the easy pickings of RAM, CPU and GPU offerings to come past us. Since we are overclockers. This topic is not excluding insanely great overclocking parts.
Bonus points, for including the juicy geeky technical details why it is being nominated.

There is just so many items I could think of to include. Be it revolutionized that type of product or just was superior in all regards. All I ask is that you respect another member's nomination. Even if they nominate RAMBUS or Cyrix based on technical merit alone.

9800xt (or Pro flashed) b/c it spanked the heck out of the 55-5900 series of Nvidia cards.

Also A64 chips vs P4 as that turned the industry upside down for about 3 years.

Xigmatek Dark Knight Heat Sink because it's so good for the price and its not flimsy and cheap like some heatsinks.

And the Antec 900 case because it's just a classic and it's still one of the best mid-towers. :)

I second the mobile barton CPUs. The Athlon XP-m was a great lineup back in the day. I had a champ Athlon XP-m 2800+.

I also nominate the TRUE 120, for being a solid tried and true heatsink.

Definitly like the AMD chips of yore, just for power performance, and A64 for being such an awesome chip for so long.

Probably have to go with tualatin core p3 for overclocking Hall of fame.

I also agree with nf7s, I never owned one, but everyone I know that had one did great things on those XP-M cpus :)

FX5000 cards for Worst video cards Hall of Fame?

Cooler Master for case design. Stacker specifically. AMAZING

Cooler Master ATC-110 Still the dream case for me, was amazing looking back in the day :D

Geforce Ti4200 cards. Those where beast cards. Could overclock like no other.

I will definitely agree with the 9700/9800 pro cards. Those things where kings forever. And they where able to do things forever too.

I will definitely agree with the 9700/9800 pro cards. Those things where kings forever. And they where able to do things forever too.

Very true, I bought an Alienware desktop in 2003 with a 9800 pro. I didn't really feel a need to upgrade until 2007, and even then it was only because I killed my Alienware's motherboard and I wanted to rebuild anyway :)

Second the Model M and 3Dfx, especially the Voodoo2.

How about the Chieftec Dragon, and the similar designs. That was basically the standard in case design before aluminum cases became popular. It took all the space advantages of the old full-tower server cases, added some tool-less features and more fans, and (like it or not) it also helped popularize the whole idea of a pre-mod case, with different colors, optional windows and even completely unconventional looks in the case of the original Xaser series.

Also, the Aureal Vortex... specifically A3D. Gave rise to 3D positional sound in games, and it was significantly more advanced than its competitor, EAX, since it actually calculated audio based on 3D data and made use of reflections, rather than just using adjustable reverb like Creative did..

- P6 architecture (like the Energizer bunny, it kept going and going)
- Abit BP6 (brought affordable SMP and overclocking to the masses)

- P6 architecture (like the Energizer bunny, it kept going and going)
- Abit BP6 (brought affordable SMP and overclocking to the masses)

I don't know if architecture qualifies as hardware, but a good suggestion nonetheless. Perhaps we could rename the thread simply "OCF Hall of Fame" or something similar.

Intel's old 440BX chipset. Many, many were introduced to ocing due to this long lived and robust old chipset (myself included);)

I would induct the Optical Drive. The optical drive succeeded to become the standard type of removable media in all personal computers. I think it has contributed so much to personal computing that it deserves to be in the hall of fame.

Antec True Control 550 power supply

I purchased mine around 2001. Started life on an Althon (pre XP mind you). It's still powering my c2/8800gt gaming rig in near silence. I think this could be a 10 year part.

Back