• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tough Decision. Better Video Card or Better CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac

I have two systems in mind each about the same price. Basically, one has a better video card, the other a better CPU. I'm having a hard time deciding which to go with here. Keep in mind I'll probably have whatever system I get for at least 2-3 years. I am a hardcore 'professional' gamer. I want to set the details to max on the latest games at a resolution of 1920x1200 on my 24" wfp 2407 monitor and get the highest possible frame rate, but I also need it to last me a long time. I would greatly appreciate your expert opinions.

Rig 1 (better video card):

cpu: Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz $165
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L P45 $94
ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 $42
videocard: GeForce GTX 295 $525
psu: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX $125
Total: $951

Rig 2 (better CPU)

cpu: Core i7 920 $289
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R X58 $200
ram: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $90
videocard: Radeon HD 4890 $250
psu: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W $105
total: $934

I put my vote in for rig #2. I love my i7 and that 4890 is no slouch at all. BUT, take the extra $20-30 and get the tx750 psu in case crossfire is in your future.

GTX295 is only worth it if you plan to fold.... other wise i would go rig 2....

That's true. I just realized with a GTX 295 you need as fast a CPU as possible so it isn't bottlenecked. It makes no sense to pair a GTX 295 with a slower processor. Am I right?

I also say go with Rig #2. That X58 motherboard and DDR3-1600 memory is much more futureproof. You will probably not need to upgrade for processor for a long time (if ever, heh) with Core i7.

That's true. I just realized with a GTX 295 you need as fast a CPU as possible so it isn't bottlenecked. It makes no sense to pair a GTX 295 with a slower processor. Am I right?

if you got the C2D oc'd high enough it wouldnt matter. C2Q/C2D's can match i7's in single card setups. i7 pulls away when you start doing SLI setups, even though that is techincally SLI'd gpu's. the number for the GTX295 in either kind of setup are not that much apart. mainly saying i7 cause its going to have more upgradablility then LGA775 setup.

another thing to consider is that depending on the res/settings you play at. the 4890 will be more then enough at half the cost.

definately rig 2 imo, 1366 socket and DDR3 and an i7, that way if you ever upgrade again in the future it will most likely only be the GPU. Although as people above me have stated the 4890 is a strong card so even then I don't think you'll be needing any upgrades for awhile.

I have two systems in mind each about the same price. Basically, one has a better video card, the other a better CPU. I'm having a hard time deciding which to go with here. Keep in mind I'll probably have whatever system I get for at least 2-3 years. I am a hardcore 'professional' gamer. I want to set the details to max on the latest games at a resolution of 1920x1200 on my 24" wfp 2407 monitor and get the highest possible frame rate, but I also need it to last me a long time. I would greatly appreciate your expert opinions.

Rig 1 (better video card):

cpu: Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz $165
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L P45 $94
ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 $42
videocard: GeForce GTX 295 $525
psu: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX $125
Total: $951

Rig 2 (better CPU)

cpu: Core i7 920 $289
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R X58 $200
ram: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $90
videocard: Radeon HD 4890 $250
psu: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W $105
total: $934

Always go for the better CPU first.

Better CPU-->Better PSU--->THEN Better Video Card.

That's like the Divine Order.

You should lose your immortal soul if you don't follow that order.

Because you might not even get all you could out of a future video card if you got a weak CPU.

I started out with an E6400, then switched to P45 and an E8400, then picked up a 750TX, now I have a 260GTX. That's the only way it would've worked.

Now I don't have to worry about a damned thing until i7 boards come down in price. (I was never a high-end gear kinda guy, you'll never see me with a 295gtx and a quad core because, by the time their prices become reasonable, they'll have an equally price mid-range card that can kick its ***. i.e. the 8800GTX vs 260GTX 216.)

First of all there isn't a game on earth right now that would max out a 295gtx unless you're running higher than 1920x1080. So you're better off with a 4890 until the next generation arrives... whenever THAT's going to be...

Yeah I'll chip in the extra 20 dollars and go with the Corsair 750TX.

Yeah the hell with a B.S. 610 watt PPC&C piece of crap...

The peace of mind that comes with the Corsair is PRICELESS.

Yeah the hell with a B.S. 610 watt PPC&C piece of crap...

The peace of mind that comes with the Corsair is PRICELESS.

*throws pie in face, then runs*
says you old man!!! :p

just messing, never had a problem with my older PCP 510DLX. from what i read though PC&P has gone down a bit since being bought by ocz. i need to break down and buy two new fans and mod this 510DLX.

not to mention the corsair psu's look pretty stylish too :beer:

Once you open that Corsair box: GAME OVER!

*throws pie in face, then runs*
says you old man!!! :p

just messing, never had a problem with my older PCP 510DLX. from what i read though PC&P has gone down a bit since being bought by ocz. i need to break down and buy two new fans and mod this 510DLX.

I don't know what they WERE... but I know they aren't **** now. Bland, uninspired, and underpowered... not entirely unlike OCZ's power supplies themselves.

I remember everybody was going "Powerstream!" this... and "Gamestream!" that when I first came here. And one by one they were dying off. People started going for the last of the good Power PCs and the more reliable Silverstones, then along came Corsair and that's pretty much all you see today.

GET WIT THE TIMES young buck!

Holla!

why? my powerstream 520 and 510dlx are still kickin!! beats spending another 80-90 for the psu's... what i really want are high EFF 500-600 watt psu's but yea good luck with that...

why? my powerstream 520 and 510dlx are still kickin!! beats spending another 80-90 for the psu's... what i really want are high EFF 500-600 watt psu's but yea good luck with that...

I'd still be rockin' my Blustorm if it had more SATA power connectors...

Back