• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No worries, I do appreciate the links none-the-less. ;)

Router is here and I'm furious. I'm normally a VERY calm person, but this just pushes my buttons. I make sure that anything I ship will survive the torrents of possible hits the box will receive. You can ask ANYONE on these forums whom I've shipped to and they will agree, my packaging is overkill. I get it done right. You should see this guy's packaging...

Just opened the box
All the packaging material

Damaged picture 1
Damaged picture 2
Damaged picture 3
Damaged picture 4
Damaged picture 5
Damaged picture 6
Damaged picture 7

So take a minute and let it soak in. This guy is Cisco Certified and ships a router LIKE THIS? Seriously? Friggin ridiculous.

Good new, the router works and I was able to reverse most of the damage. The FastEthernet handle is still bent really bad, but no where near as bad as it was.

router.jpg

inside_1.jpg

inside_2.jpg

inside_3.jpg

I also didn't have a serial cable to test the router. I NEEDED to know if this router was even working properly. So, I talked with someone that is familiar with Cisco routers and I made my own cable from scratch. All it needs is a RJ45 -> Serial/COM connector. I ran to Radio Shack and picked up the parts needed and hammered this out in about 2 hours. Worked on the first try even!

custom_serialcable.jpg

Oh, I will. Just waiting on a response. I have a feeling I'm going to be taking this up with Paypal and this guy has NEVER responded to any questions.

Dam,,, That really sucks big time,, the shear carelessness of the packing of such equipment.

thideras,, sure hope you get refund of some sort of compensation for the damages

Still no response, sent him a message saying that I want $60 back (30 for shipping, 30 for fixing it) for the troubles I had to go through to get it remotely close to what it looked like in the auction. It took me at least 5 hours to fix and make sure it works.

Thid, you better repaint that son of a ***** to match the lower box. :)

If you didn't you'd hear lots of bad words from me. ;)

Repaint what? The Cisco router? Never.

The front panel and the mounting brackets. That way it looks cleaner and nicer. :)

I'm also the kind of guy that wouldn't let that scrap hang off like that under the fron jacks. I'd cut that off so that it won't break off when you DONT want it to and make the situation worse.

Just came back from cleaning, he responded fairly quick when I said "dispute".

I will be happy to provide you partial refund. Please send me the pictures.

This is why I take pictures ;)

Im surprised to see the damages since the router fit perfectly in the box. I will however issue a refund, but $60 is a bit too high since it does not affect the operation of the machine and the handles can be very easily bent back in place (1min - 2min work). The fair price for refund I think would be $25. I apologize that you received the item this way and for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
This guy is pretty funny. Yes, the handles just "bend back", right.

It took me 2 hours to bend everything back and glue all the broken pieces together.

Settled for $30 to cover shipping. I'm a nice guy or I'd push for more...

Ya thats pretty nice of you. That was definately shoddy shipping. Glad I paid insurance to usps on the psu I sent to silverstone. They said send in original packaging (which I still had), and I ended up sending it 3 day flat rate box (so it was in another box), but Ill be ****ed if I dont get a repaired or replacement psu because of shipping.

From what I see, they are 500+ new if you can find them.

Settled for $30 to cover shipping. I'm a nice guy or I'd push for more...

I hope you at least left him negative feedback so everybody can be aware of his bad shipping practices. I would hate to buy a router and have it arrive in that condition.

Love the rackmount case. As soon as I get some spare cash I' wanna pick up a couple percs and move my arrays over. As soon as I add another 4 drives to my server, its gonna be gettotastic. That rackmount case would be nice.

Back