• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hope you at least left him negative feedback so everybody can be aware of his bad shipping practices. I would hate to buy a router and have it arrive in that condition.
I really don't like leaving negative feedback, but I sure as science did not leave a positive. I left a neutral since he responded quickly to my message saying it was totaled and did the refund quickly. I left: "Item was cosmetically destroyed during shipping due to extremely poor packaging." I like the irony at least. My wording had a much better fit (0 chars left) than the package he sent me!

Love the rackmount case. As soon as I get some spare cash I' wanna pick up a couple percs and move my arrays over. As soon as I add another 4 drives to my server, its gonna be gettotastic. That rackmount case would be nice.
Can not go wrong with the PERC 5, great card ;)

thing is a decent router too lots of wic's on that hog. hell, even a 2500 or 2600 does fine also :)
Been trying to find another card I can put into it, but everything seems so expensive @.@

Any idea where to pick up a single/dual FE? I could even put two in the current 1FE2W it has now, right?

Been trying to find another card I can put into it, but everything seems so expensive @.@

Any idea where to pick up a single/dual FE? I could even put two in the current 1FE2W it has now, right?

you could go with a WIC-1ENET they're hit or miss on fleabay not only that, but they're 10base and not 100 meg. you could also try NM-2FE2W i believe both should work. you have other expansion bay's too, so you could put a 1FE-TX in also, and have 2 fast interfaces. keep in mind, that you will have to know what slot which is in so you will have something like fastethernet 1/0 and 0/0 (or your corresponding slot numbers) these can be shown when you show interfaces.

offhand, i dont remember if there is a command to show expansion slot and model numbers, but i'm sure there is if you go though the help.

Yes, I know how to list it out, I think it is "show interfaces" or something >.>

Thanks for the info, going to have a look today and probably order one so I can get this up and running. I'll stick to a FE port for now, sort of future proofing. Wish I could get gigabit ports for this thing, then I could *really* route some traffic to it.

Yes, I know how to list it out, I think it is "show interfaces" or something >.>

Thanks for the info, going to have a look today and probably order one so I can get this up and running. I'll stick to a FE port for now, sort of future proofing. Wish I could get gigabit ports for this thing, then I could *really* route some traffic to it.

depends on what you're doing, 100 meg for a router is plenty.

gig to the router isnt going to get your 10mbit internet faster :)

depends on what you're doing, 100 meg for a router is plenty.

gig to the router isnt going to get your 10mbit internet faster :)
Nope, but I could route traffic and do a bit more traffic shaping/rules, etc.

Might still do it for fun. Say, use an extra port on the router and my file server specifically for SSH/FTP/Internet and use the gigabit port on the file server (the one I'm using now) for internal file transfers.

Nope, but I could route traffic and do a bit more traffic shaping/rules, etc.

Might still do it for fun. Say, use an extra port on the router and my file server specifically for SSH/FTP/Internet and use the gigabit port on the file server (the one I'm using now) for internal file transfers.

true didnt think of that :p still waking up

Ha, will you look at that? That was my 15,000 post :)

I have a set of 4 Poweredge 2450s with dual Pentium 3 866MHz 1GB RAM a piece. They do pretty well for a web-server cluster.

Love the over-kill file-server man! :)

Well, it has come time to add another computer to the rack list. Going to be adding my main system with a Norco RPC-470. While I really like my Mountain Mod case that I'm currently using, it is too large for the computer itself and I find it a waste. So, going to go full out and sell my current case to rackmount my main system.

I know a really big folder here on the forums (before switching teams) uses these cases for his folding farm. They are cheap, good quality, high airflow and rackmountable. Everything I'm looking for.

Now I just need a friggin rack >.<

Thid, why the 470 over the 450 or 450B? I have been looking at those three and I havent really been able to see what exactly is the difference between the three.

Once I have a job again I am planning on getting at least 2 of either of the three I mentioned but like I said, I cant really find a huge difference between any of them.

I have a 680i board that is dead, but what is a 1283?

Back