• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok popping my head back in to the thread while I am home for a few days.

Thid, you might want to look at similar to what I did when I got my rack. Since I am not using the full 42U for rigs, I mounted my Reciever, DVD player, Cable box, and Brother Laserjet in there as well. It takes up about half the rack but cooling and cabling is 100x easier.

You and I are at different ends of the rackmount everything idea. You have the rigs but no rack, I have the rack but not everything is rackmountable. If you need info on where to get shelves etc let me know by email and I can try to respond here or over email. The current job has me working with rackmounts daily and I have learned a few things that I didnt know prior to this job.

I'm going to call the IT Outlet place again to try and get a rack. I have cash in hand and they have yet to call me back. I'd like to pick it up today.

Called them around 30 minutes ago. They said they are working with a company to get rid of some racks ASAP as the building is sold. Among the racks is a lone 42u rack WITH SIDES. Said if they get it, it would be the same price as one without sides. I'll know later in the week.

For those that are bored (me!), I got server stats up here:
http://208.107.40.117/nagios/

Username: guest
Password: guest

After you login, you can see the server stats here:
http://208.107.40.117/nagios/cgi-bin//status.cgi?host=localhost

It is on.

You me, the front lawn with racks at dawn sir! hehe

We are taking different approachs I think. I may have some stuff going into the classies you will like (unless you ended up buying the same stuff via the PM I sent you awhile back), but either way Im sure we will both nick a few ideas from each other.

I'm not sure what you mean.

What all are you rackmounting?

What all are you rackmounting?

• 3u Compaq UPS (no batteries at the moment)
  • 2u Cisco router
  • 4u File server
  • 4u Other case (empty)
  • 7u Blue case (dual p3)
  • 1u Compaq server (router/firewall)
  • 1u Compaq server (dual p3)
  • 2u Dell server (dual p3)
  • 1u 24 port gigabit switch
I think that is everything. Comes out to 25u for just the equipment. I'll probably add a KVM/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse to the rack later.

Just got a callback! They got four 42u racks coming in. $275 with sides and possibly a door! They will arrive tomorrow.

grats dude!

Have fun trying to get that beast moved though.

Oh and as a suggestion, get an exhuast rigged so that the air is pushed OUT of the house. You probably know very well how good a heater those rigs can be.
If I lived in a house, I would have already modified it :p

The only catch is that the rack has to break down to get it in the apartment. They dont' have them just yet, so I will find out. If that doesn't work, I'll order one from them new. I'd really like to get all my servers off the floor.

If I lived in a house, I would have already modified it :p

The only catch is that the rack has to break down to get it in the apartment. They dont' have them just yet, so I will find out. If that doesn't work, I'll order one from them new. I'd really like to get all my servers off the floor.

What does your landlord say about all that? Are you on a electricity included rent payment?

I seriously doubt that the rack will break down totally, it will probably just break down to a 4 post shell.
I'm not sure if we can get it into the apartment like that :-/

Waiting on measurements.

IT'S HERE!
HP rack in amazing condition. Paid 291.50 for it. Pics in a bit.

hp_rack_empty_1.jpg

hp_rack_empty_2.jpg

hp_rack_empty_3.jpg

hp_rack_empty_4.jpg

hp_rack_empty_5.jpg

hp_rack_empty_6.jpg

hp_rack_empty_7.jpg

hp_rack_empty_8.jpg

hp_rack_empty_9.jpg

Back