• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got the Norco 270 cases in. I took a few pictures so that if anyone else is interested in the case, you can see if it fits your needs and gives you something to look out for. I only have one case done as I type this, but I've stripped it apart and put is some spare pieces I have laying around to see how it holds it. This is my 3rd and 4th server case from Norco, and I've been satisfied with every last one of them. The rail mounting can be very frustrating, but it works.

It's a box!
norco_270_01.JPG

OMG IT'S ANOTHER BOX, THIS IS ALL MY DREAMS COME TRUE!!
norco_270_02.JPG

Until I took out the Norco 260 server chassis.
norco_270_03.JPG

The front is simple design. There are power and reset switches, a USB port and lights for power/HDD/network. In addition to those, you have the normal 5.25" and 3.5" sized holes. There are also sturdy handles on each side of the case.
norco_270_04.JPG

On the back, there is a dummy plate for the power supply (which seems to take "normal" 2u power supplies), I/O plate and multiple PCI plates. Simple, simple simple. I like this.
norco_270_05.JPG

The top is covered in a plastic from the factory, to fend off scratches during shipment and assembly. It is quite sticky and tends to leave behind residue. Have the Goof Off ready.
norco_270_06.JPG

Insides are laid out logically. The biggest difference is where the power supply is located. There wasn't enough space in the back of the case for the power supply, so they relocated it to the front of the case. This increases the compatibility of the chassis, but also adds an additional downside that I will explain later on. Stock, the case has room for 6 hard drives (3 per cage). All of the cages and the power supply bracket are easily removed. I had the case stripped in a few minutes. The screw for the 5.25" bay is difficult to get at since it is just behind and below the front panel headers.
norco_270_07.JPG

Not much to say about this one except that the fan board for this is quite clever. It keeps cable clutter down. On the downside, removing a fan will take a bit longer.
norco_270_08.JPG

norco_270_09.JPG

Case stripped.
norco_270_10.JPG

Here is a closer look at the fan divider. The splitter bolts to a metal bracket that goes around the fans. The fans are between these two pieces of metal, but they shouldn't rattle; the fit is quite tight.
norco_270_11.JPG

norco_270_12.JPG

As always, I want to see what fans they have installed in these cases and I was very happy to find that they used Delta fans! AFB0812H, to be exact. 80mm, 3000 RPM and 1.92 W that pushes out a decent 35.3 CFM at 31 dB. I believe these are the same fans that come with my file server, so these should move quite a bit of air.
norco_270_13.JPG

Here is the test that I've been waiting to do and I'm very glad I did. This is, unfortunately, the worst part of the case. Pictured is a standard sized ATX power supply; a Corsair HX520w (which is not mine). It bolts into the bracket, no problem. The issue is once it is installed, the grill would be completely flush with the cover and the bottom is as well. You can not flip the power supply around. "So, Thideras", you say, "this is an easy solution! Simply get a power supply with 80mm fans that are on the ends!" You would be right, but there is still an issue. The fan are pulling towards the back of the case a stock power supply would be pushing heat out the front. This creates two problems, actually. First, the power supply is going to be fighting the natural flow of air in the case, which may reduce cooling capacity substantially. The last issue is that if it does push out air from the front of the case, it is going to be pulled in by the fans in the same server or by one that is directly next to it. I'm going to be getting some cheaper (good quality) power supplies and flip the fans around. This is the only solution that I see working.
norco_270_14.JPG

Grill is completely flush with the top of the case.
norco_270_15.JPG

No space on the bottom of the power supply.
norco_270_16.JPG

I was unsure whether to classify this as a failure of the case or a design flaw of the power supply. The stock extension cable was completely backwards for this power supply. I got it in, but it was very tight.
norco_270_17.JPG

After taking out the fan divider, I found the bottom was covered in this plastic as well! Impressive.
norco_270_18.JPG

Dual socket Yonah server installed! No cables are hooked up as I don't have an OS drive nor power supply.
norco_270_19.JPG

norco_270_20.JPG

All-in-all, it is a very good case with a few minor design issues that could be easily resolved. While I was disappointed with the power supply mounts, I don't see how they could have done any better and the issue is fixable. If you are looking for a small case, check these out.

Got the second server motherboard installed.

norco_270_21.JPG

Well, I'm certainly less than impressed with NewEgg at the moment. I ordered what I thought was Norco RL-26 rails. Checking my old order history, the link in the order for the RL-26 (N82E16811997301) is exactly the same product number as when I purchased the ones my file server has, back on 6/15/2009.

Ok, so I should have super double quadruple checked it before I ordered. I went back through my order history before buying and found it had the same make, model and NewEgg ID. Perfect, they are half off and I need some, so I order them. I just got them about 30 minutes ago and find they are completely different than what I was expecting.

The first issue is that it doesn't match the description. The page says they are "ball bearing". These rails are nothing of the sort. They are literally sliding plates of metal with copious amounts of grease over the entire unit. The other issue, which is a far bigger problem, is they only extend from the rack around a foot. So, I have a server chassis that is over two feet long and I can only have half of it out of the rack without having to unbolt it.

In conclusion, they sneakily swapped the part without changing any information (other than the pictures) with ones that won't work for the advertised cases, don't even have the features advertised (ball bearing), are completely garbage when it comes to build quality and 100% useless for the cases that I have.

I looked all over Norco's website, but I can not find any information on the parts that I have. What they have listed as the Norco RL-26 (http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=6&modelno=RL-26) does not look anything like what I have.

I pulled up chat with them:

04:54:02 PM : You are next in queue...

04:54:27 PM : A Customer Service Representative will be with you as soon as one becomes available.

04:54:57 PM : Thank you for your patience.

04:56:22 PM : Technician has joined this session!

04:56:22 PM : Connected with Technician. Your reference number for this chat session is xxxxxxx.

04:56:22 PM : Hello my name is Technician. How may I help you today?

04:56:38 PM : Thideras: Hello, I recently put in an order (given) and didn't receive the product I expected.

04:57:33 PM : Thideras: I received them roughly 10 minutes ago and I don't see how they will even with with my Norco 270 server chassis that I ordered with them.

04:57:51 PM : Thideras: They extend about 10" inches, which is no where near enough to pull a server out of the rack.

04:58:27 PM : Thideras: They are advertised as a "Norco RL-26". If I search on Norco's website, I get a completely different looking rail (one that I *know* works, I have two sets of them already).

04:58:45 PM : Thideras: The rails I was sent are literally useless.

04:59:13 PM : Technician: I would be glad to assist you with that... Would you like to return both of the item #xx-xxx-xxx for a refund?

04:59:36 PM : Thideras: If possible, I would like to return them for the following item: N82E16816321004

04:59:49 PM : Thideras: Which is what I thought was going to be shipped in the first place (they carry the same model number).

04:59:59 PM : Thideras: and the rails were half off, that is why I wish to exchange them

05:00:34 PM : Technician: Unfortunately, we do not offer exchanges; all returns are processed for a refund or a replacement of the same make and model. Your best option would be to request a refund RMA and reorder online.

05:01:12 PM : Thideras: I will return them, but I refuse to order the other rails at full price. They are $35 each and that is what I paid for both of these.

05:01:27 PM : Thideras: There is no way you will honor the 50% off of the new rails?

05:03:12 PM : Technician: Every product we carry is listed on our website and pricing and availability is posted in real time, and we do not offer any sort of price protection. We would only be able to honor the currently listed price on the item page. If the price of an item is changed, it would also reflect in the shopping cart.

05:05:30 PM : Thideras: I'll return the rails buy rails from someone else, then. I'm not quite happy with the switching of model numbers. The only RL-26 on Norco's website is not what you show on yours. Not to mention, the "old" Norco RL-26 that was carried up until the manufacturer was changed to "Habey" worked perfectly fine. I know I should have doubled checked to verify it was the right product, but I didn't expect that you guys would suddenly swap out parts and keep the same model number.

05:07:59 PM : Technician: We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. All the information you see on Newegg comes directly from the manufacturer. We guarantee the information provided on our website.

05:10:20 PM : Thideras: That doesn't explain why the product I was sent doesn't even exist on their website. I cannot find what model I was sent. The ones on your website are advertised as *ball bearing* rails. These have no such thing and are very cheaply made.

05:11:15 PM : Thideras: NORCO RL-26 26" 3-sections Ball Bearing Sliding Rail kit for rackmount chassis - OEM. I'm literally holding them in my hand and there is no bearings in this at all.

05:12:33 PM : Thideras: The picture looks like what I received, but the description does not match it. And, as I said, this wouldn't work for any of Norco's cases.

05:14:12 PM : Technician: We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. I will forward this to our related team to review. In addition, I am willing to issue an RMA and a return shipping label for you. Do you have the retail box and all the accessories? Also, can you please confirm your current shipping address?

05:14:56 PM : Thideras: I do have the box it was sent it, but it is in rough shape thanks to the shipping company. My shipping address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

05:15:28 PM : Technician: Thank you. I have issued you RMA for a refund and waived the restocking fee. You will receive a confirmation email within 5-10 minutes containing the address and instructions for your return. Once received, we will process your RMA within 2-5 business days. After the RMA is processed, a refund will be issued to your original payment method within 3-5 business days. Also, a second email will be sent to you within the next 24 hours with a prepaid UPS shipping label. Please print the label and tape it onto the outside of your returning package. This label does expire in 7 days, so please make sure you send this package as soon as possible or you may have to incur the return shipping cost.

05:16:12 PM : Thideras: Thank you for the quick response. I will also be talking to an inside sales representitive. I'm sorry for being harsh with you, it isn't anything personal. I'm just a bit frustrated to get a completely incompatible product.

05:16:33 PM : Technician: It was my pleasure. Is there anything else I can help you with?

05:16:51 PM : Thideras: That will be all, have a egg-ilicious day.

05:16:59 PM : Technician: Thank you for contacting Newegg. I hope you have an eggcellent day!

05:16:59 PM : Technician has left this session!

05:16:59 PM : The session has ended!
TLDR version:

1) Sneaky product swapping
2) Completely wrong part that is useless

I'm hesitant to call this "bait and switch" because the pictures were correct. But, the description is completely false and matches the old correct part. That is what gets me. If it is a different part, why does it carry the same exact information?

And I just noticed that they RMA'd the server chassis instead of the rails. Great. I have an hour to correct this and get it into UPS. Thanks NewEgg!

You've got to expect with such a large number of items carried, there are bound to be issues and mistakes. Still seems shifty though.

Do you plan on just getting some 2U PSUs?

No, I'm going to get normal power supplies.

I know that products shift numbers, I expect that. What I don't expect is when a part completely changes, but they use the same internal part number and (incorrect) description. That is the kicker that makes me a bit angry. If it had the proper description, I'd just feel stupid for getting the wrong part, return them and there would be no fireworks.

Well, newegg always said to pay no mind to the pics, as you may get something different than pictured.

Should have just told them they sent you the wrong part.

Then they would have sent the exact same one. Not going to risk it.

Pretty awesome setup going there. Kind of wish I had the room in the basement to put up a rack :p
There are smaller ones available. Half height should fit nearly anywhere. You could even make your own!

Re-did the 2 TB drive array and moved it to RAID 6. Umount'd the old Hitachi 1 TB array and I'm copying files. I intend to buy more 2 TB drives when NewEgg brings the price down a tad. I'll probably keep the old array around for a few days to make sure it is fully working.

Code:
[root@thideras-server hitachi]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             4.5T  1.3T  3.0T  31% /mnt/hitachireal
/dev/sdc1             3.6T   59G  3.6T   2% /mnt/hitachi
/sleep

---

I'll also be adding my DVD's to the server, since I've finally found a very easy method of ripping movies. It keeps the original sound track and chapters, even! I then feed it through handbrake to compress the video.

Data is moved to the new array and services are back up. It has been working fine so far.

Just ordered the power supplies for the servers.

I still have to open the power supply and flip the fan. Otherwise the power supply fan will be fighting the airflow in the case.

Do you know how many amps your 12v and 5v rails need to provide for all your drives? I thought my Corsair 430 was having trouble powering my Q6600 + 8 7200 rpm drives, but maybe I just didn't plug something in correctly...

I don't have exact figures, but I assumed 1 amp per drive at startup. It is probably a bit less than that, but I don't have an easy way to measure unless I make a cable to test it; which I might.

I talked it over with OW first :<

After beating my face on the keyboard for over 4 hours solid, I got Icinga up (Nagios fork). Mind-blowingly awesome.

icinga_initial_setup.png

It even emails me when thresholds get hit.

Code:
***** Icinga *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Total Processes
Host: Main Server
Address: 192.168.0.10
State: WARNING

Date/Time: Sat Aug 13 18:31:39 CDT 2011

Additional Info: PROCS WARNING: 156 processes

How well does Handbrake compress your DVD's?

I need to look into this as I have about 6TB of movies in my HTPC. But the movies are currently uncompressed.

It is pretty much the best out there. I use the MKV container with "20" as the video quality. Works great.

Back