• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I mean, are you going to use any of it to host websites, game servers, file storage etc? Or did you just want this to have it :p

All services are for internal use. File server is for storing files and backups.

Mainly, this is just for me to play around with.

I'm really not much of a programmer so what could you be playing around with, and what are you doing with virtual machines? :p

Testing out different operating systems, running services that seem interesting to me. For example, I have two virtual machines for a LDAP server. This allows me space to do whatever I want and not harm my main server install. If I accidentally trash the operating system or break services, I can just flatten the virtual machine and start over. Additionally, I use it for testing my work's software in situations that we normally don't have. It allows me to manipulate the environment to learn more about the program. I'm not a programmer for the company, just technical support -- so I naturally have very limited access to data on our program.

My stock server install is done with the "Minimal" option. This gives very little to start with (no wget, vim, nano, etc), but allows me complete control over what is installed.

Hmm, even more to worry about, then. :(

What does my post add to your worry level for?

Ill see if I can locate the seller of the cards I bought and PM them to you as I need to pick up a couple more anyways.

My IBM cards work with ZERO issues, the Supermicro cards OTOH were causing issues due to the array constantly "rebuilding" and even "failing" once due to it managing to drop 5 drives out within an hour.

I like those 3650's, we had 2 here that I had to ship off to another site a couple weeks ago. I was REALLY hoping that they would go towards the "junk" pile.

My only concern would be compatibility with future drives and the initial cost. For example, if it was made before 4k sectors and wouldn't work correctly with them. If it doesn't have those issues, I'm interested. Never thought of using a RAID card as a HBA. How much do those normally cost or what is a good deal?

Then, the only concern I have before I switch to ZFS is memory requirements. I'll probably try it out to see how it does and then get a SSD to speed it up.

My only concern would be compatibility with future drives and the initial cost. For example, if it was made before 4k sectors and wouldn't work correctly with them. If it doesn't have those issues, I'm interested. Never thought of using a RAID card as a HBA. How much do those normally cost or what is a good deal?

Then, the only concern I have before I switch to ZFS is memory requirements. I'll probably try it out to see how it does and then get a SSD to speed it up.

Of the two I would think the better choice is the IBM m1015 as it's just an LSI 9211, which should support 3tb drives as well as anything 4k sector

Of the two I would think the better choice is the IBM m1015 as it's just an LSI 9211, which should support 3tb drives as well as anything 4k sector
That is good, but my worry is after that. How long will the card work for me, basically. I know that there isn't an answer for this, but it is something I think about.

That is good, but my worry is after that. How long will the card work for me, basically. I know that there isn't an answer for this, but it is something I think about.

For under $100 it's not as much an issue for me, and it's fairly easy to move ZFS pools between controllers, if ZFS is the option you choose.

Good point and that price seems lower than I expected. I'll have to look into it.

I'll probably have to test each server individually, but I can find out. I'm going to guess the entire rack idle is 650-800w. I'll need to know this number for when I buy a UPS, anyway.

thid, with all the time and money you have sunk into this admirable endeavor...

Why are you looking at a single UPS?

Assuming you arent running a 220v line in, pickup 2-3x APC1500's and BALANCE. Single UPS = Single POF.

Hell all told my rack will have a grand total of 2x Smart UPS 1400 2x 1500 1x Cyberpower 1k, 2x APC 2u 1500's in all likelyhood. I am making sure that once I get done building the systems, and setting them up, a single powerspike doesnt take down everything.

The 3650's are awesome, I really wanted 1 but had to ship them off to actually be used for something other than my learning and power eater funtime.

I'm not too worried about a single point of failure, but rather data integrity. Now, if the price difference isn't huge, then I might consider it.

I am running on 120v and I have a dedicated 20a circuit. At least, that is what I think is installed. I have a Compaq R3000, but I don't know how to test the unit to see if it works. I don't want to drop $200 on batteries to find the dang thing doesn't work. :-/

I'm not too worried about a single point of failure, but rather data integrity. Now, if the price difference isn't huge, then I might consider it.

I am running on 120v and I have a dedicated 20a circuit. At least, that is what I think is installed. I have a Compaq R3000, but I don't know how to test the unit to see if it works. I don't want to drop $200 on batteries to find the dang thing doesn't work. :-/

Is it 12/24/48v for the battery pack?

It is PROBABLY 24 or 48v. You can do it with standard Car batteries to test but be careful depending on voltage.

That 3000 should not be a 120v system anyways. IIRC 2200 is the max that you can do on a 120v line without causing SERIOUS fire hazards.

PM me later to remind me to email you a couple links I found last night that you might like please.

They are 12v batteries, some in series and some in parallel. It is an odd setup. I could do car batteries, but I'd rather not. If anything, I would do fully sealed.

Sounds good, I'll try to remember to message you, as well.

I was asked to join the Team 32 folding competition on the 15th, so I figured I might as well. Let's see what these servers can do. :cool:

I really need to add a mailing function into my rsync script. I found that it has been syncing with the other array properly, but the bzip files it was supposed to create were completely broken. Turns out, when I reinstalled the OS with my new hardware, I forgot to install pbzip2 (multi-threaded bzip), so tar was just failing with a broken pipe. I might be able to tie this into my Icinga server, which emails me automatically.

On the upside, the run-time is substantially less than the old system. It took just over 1 hour to make a 25.9 GB backup of my Documents folder on the old Phenom. The new Opteron server did it in 17 minutes.

I'm taking classes over the summer and needed access to Visio. To do this, they gave us full access to MSDNAA. I've downloaded 2k8 server, Exchange and Microsoft SQL. Why? Cause I can.

I'm taking classes over the summer and needed access to Visio. To do this, they gave us full access to MSDNAA. I've downloaded 2k8 server, Exchange and Microsoft SQL. Why? Cause I can.

I got the same access for my university course, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft products but it's useful to have every single available product just in case...:D

Beautiful rack BTW, out of interest, what would you recommend for a basic home server for doing torrenting and media serving for a house of 5 geeks? (I've been nominated sysadmin for my house next year of my uni course)

// SkuToV

Back