• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Beautiful rack BTW, out of interest, what would you recommend for a basic home server for doing torrenting and media serving for a house of 5 geeks? (I've been nominated sysadmin for my house next year of my uni course)
It depends what else you are going to do on it. If it is just a seedbox and file sharing, you aren't going to need much RAM/processor. You could go with a lower end i3/AMD, 4gb of RAM, a small case (Antec 300 is pretty good), and throw Linux (full OS or NAS software) on it for cheap. The worst part is going to be the hard drives, by far.

I have ten 750gb drives (ST3750640NS) on the way. Four of these are going to a friend and the remaining six are going to be used to test out NAS software and give reviews with first-hand experience. So, if you have NAS software that you want reviewed, let me know.

I have ten 750gb drives (ST3750640NS) on the way. Four of these are going to a friend and the remaining six are going to be used to test out NAS software and give reviews with first-hand experience. So, if you have NAS software that you want reviewed, let me know.

Could you have a look at unRAID and freeNAS please? These are the two I'm really considering for my home server.

// SkuToV

I have an additional eight 1.5 TB Seagate drives coming as well. Doing a very rough and quick calculation, this puts me at 45 TB of raw disk.

That's insane. Are you going to backup an entire Blu-Ray collection? What will you do with 45TB of disk? (After you review NAS software. :p )

Meanwhile, I have only fivish terabytes of raw disk. :rofl:

May I ask what do you keep there?
Well, these drives are going to be used for my NAS tests instead of the 750gb drives. Once the tests are done, I could do a distributed file system across the servers - such as a Lustre Cluster. I recently learned this is open source, so I'm very interested in running it. Why? 'Cause I can.

The problem is going to be housing them. My current main server is completely full, minus one drive sled. The Norco 470 is full, and the other servers can't house these disks. Well, the x3650s can, but I would need different drive sleds, and those are expensive.

That's insane. Are you going to backup an entire Blu-Ray collection? What will you do with 45TB of disk? (After you review NAS software. :p )
I have no idea. Really, I don't.

At very least, this would allow me to give virtual machines their own RAID array, which would speed them up substantially.

Heh...extreme storage; I love it! People as me what practical use is LN2...I say NONE, it's awesome though. Same with you and storage. :D

Drives arrived.

seagate1.5_drives.JPG

This gives me a total of 49.526 tb of spinning disks.

Ruby (File server)
-7x 1tb Hitachi 7k1000
-9x 2tb Hitachi 5k3000
-3x 30gb Seagate Cheetah (15k rpm SAS)

IBM x3650 7979
-4x 73 10k rpm SAS

IBM x3650 7979
-4x 73 10k rpm SAS

Dell 2650
-5x 32gb 10k rpm SCSI

Dell 2650
-4x 73gb 10k rpm SCSI

Desktop:
-1x Intel 520 180gb
-2x 1tb Western Digital Black

Laptop:
-1x Kingston SSD 120gb

NAS test server
-1x 100gb Maxtor (OS drive)
-8x 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS
-3x 500gb IBM SystemX

Not installed:
-10x 750gb Seagate ST3750640NS

Thideras,

I'd just like to take the time to THANK YOU for this thread. I remember first looking at it over 3 years ago when i was in college for Cisco courses. This thread has become a reference to anything home server/networking related and it always comes up in my searches when im looking to expand my disk space.

this thread has led me from one desktop, to having a server with 5TB (small....) of storage

I'll continue to follow this thread as i have for a few years now. It always seems to have new ways for me to improve my setup and of course spend my money lol

He ended up inspiring my own rack as well. Thideras, you're the reason for the hard drive price hike. Please go away.

Back