• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I put the NAS test server in the rack, to make it easier to work with.

server_racked.JPG

Not sure. Is there an experimental/new programming language recently released?

Whoops

***** Icinga *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Hitachi RAID 10
Host: ruby
Address: ruby
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Sat Aug 25 12:23:03 CDT 2012

Additional Info:

DISK CRITICAL - free space: /mnt/hitachi10 2704 MB (0% inode=99%):
My backup array is 100% full on accident. I updated my backup scripts and forgot to update the server's script to not include certain folders. It then rsync'd way too much data to the smaller array.

I hate Occam's Razor so much. So much.

I'm installing 2003 to my second Dell PowerEdge 2650 and I've been having one hell of a time trying to get it to work. I went to boot the disk, and it just goes to the CentOS install on the RAID array. Verified that the disk is a CD (it is), I powered the system down, tried again, and got the same thing. Doing another reboot, go into the BIOS, verify everything is enabled and that the boot order is correct, save and restart to get the same thing. I watched it boot another time and saw it access the disk, which means that it knows there is one in the tray. Thinking my old 2k3 disk is starting to fail, I put in another copy to get the same thing. I get the bright idea to try my Memtest disk, slap it in the system, it boots to Memtest, and immediately crashes with an "unexpected interrupt" error. If you remember from awhile back, I upgraded the system memory in both the PowerEdge servers, so I thought it was a bad stick of RAM since I never tested it and it worked previously. I pulled all the sticks of RAM out of the system but one, Memtest promptly explodes. Thinking that a sixteen percent chance of getting the right stick on the first time was a bit suspicious, I swap in another stick of RAM, and Memtest promptly explodes. I try the RAM in another slot and it doesn't POST. Turns out it has to be in the first slot: didn't know that! I grab one of the original RAM sticks and use that instead, Memtest promptly explodes. Ok then, maybe it isn't memory. :confused:

Before I went and got supper, I unplugged the server and popped the CMOS battery out. After returning, I put in the battery, turn the server back on, set the system time, enable RAID, saved and restart. Memtest promptly explodes. Ok, this is going to be much more difficult than I thought! Time to go heavy duty on this server. Since Memtest was referencing an "unexpected interrupt", I was thinking that I had an unstable processor or power board. Removing the power board and the second processor causes Memtest to promptly explode. Maybe it is the power delivery system or the power supply? Trying the other power supply caused Memtest to promptly explode. Swapping the processor's power board causes Memtest to promptly explode. Anyone see the pattern here yet? Thinking that I'm going to swap the processors themselves, I get an idea to try another disk. I put in my CentOS install disk, it tries to boot to it and I get a "Disk Error 04". Expecting this to be another sign of instability and that I was going to have to scrap this server after not even using it, I found out I was very wrong.

Care to guess what was wrong?
The CD drive was broken. Stealing the one from my other PowerEdge fixed it.
Seriously.
Don't I feel stupid.

Last edited:
I hope you'll forgive us for laughing hysterically. If it makes you feel any better, you can't really realize the humor in this situation unless you've been there before.

I'm totally ok with that. I was laughing pretty hard myself.

Ugh it's almost always the little things when you think it just can't be that simple.

Back