• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And because of you I now know that I can get the full version Xenserver which means now I might just have to go to it instead of Server 2012 R2's Hypervisor... You do horrible things to me... horrible things. Not like I wanted to see the sky this weekend anyways.

Sorry for not having a lot of updates. I've been very busy with this semester of school, so I haven't had a lot of time to do anything.

Tonight was exciting though. I decided that I've let the XenServer updates sit there long enough and started the upgrade process. Pushing to the server was working fine, everything was good. Before the huge service pack update, I decided to reboot the hypervisors to make sure that the existing patches had applied.

Luckily, I had the console open for Lucid while it restarted; the server had deemed a memory stick dead and refused to use it. Reseating the stick did not help, and moving it to another slot still failed the same stick. The server works without that stick, but with reduced memory throughput. I have a request in for RMA to get it replaced.

Update to desktop overkill. Picked up a hex monitor stand.

It, uh, is bigger than I thought. Those are 24" monitors behind it.

DSC_0544.JPG

DSC_0553.JPG

I had to attach the monitor on the left to keep it somewhat balanced. The speakers are also in a temporary position so I could get everything assembled. I'm in the search for new monitors for a 3+1 setup. In the upper left/right, I'm going to attempt to mount speakers in the place of monitors.

Nice Thid! That "stand" is similar to one I was looking at when I was working on designing a long since abandoned idea of a combination battlestation and gamestation.

Just make sure that you end up getting Monitors that are VESA compliant! I have a 24" and a 27" that I love but neither are VESA compliant and short of epoxy and/or magic, I am stuck using their inferior stock stands.

Nice Thid! That "stand" is similar to one I was looking at when I was working on designing a long since abandoned idea of a combination battlestation and gamestation.

Just make sure that you end up getting Monitors that are VESA compliant! I have a 24" and a 27" that I love but neither are VESA compliant and short of epoxy and/or magic, I am stuck using their inferior stock stands.
Holy cow, don't scare me like that! I had to go back and check the monitors I just ordered.

Should have 14 megapixels of monitors arriving soon.

Holy cow, don't scare me like that! I had to go back and check the monitors I just ordered.

You're welcome for the assistance in spending your money :chair:

Of course, I did some pretty good damage myself. :rolleyes:

I like the fact that the 6 monitor stand has the low profile center monitor mount. The triple monitor mount that Hokie and I both have had this over built center monitor mount that made the monitor stick out way too far. Fortunately that is a cheap fix.

That's the dual-rack version of the tri-monitor stand I have. That thing is massive, isn't it? It's much bigger than you would think based on photos and even measurements.
It is ridiculous. I didn't even think about how big it would be until I started putting it together. I assembled a monitor arm and it came up to my shoulder and not a small guy. The speakers I'm using don't even fit on the desk anymore, so I need to figure out what to do there.

I like the fact that the 6 monitor stand has the low profile center monitor mount. The triple monitor mount that Hokie and I both have had this over built center monitor mount that made the monitor stick out way too far. Fortunately that is a cheap fix.
They erroneously built it out too far? The way this one is, the center is at the correct spot to force the monitors into a concave form.

If you goto the link that Hokie posted about his monitor stand, you will see pictures of my setup. They put this 6" thick mult-adjustable arm in place for the center monitor similar to the side monitors. It made it all a pain to get the monitors angled right. I found a lower profile wall mount that fit in to the receiver for the center monitor that brought the monitor back about 5".

Sorry, didnt mean to scare you. I'm STILL mad that those two Samsung's arent VESA compliant... I have SERIOUSLY debated epoxying a VESA mount to their backend...

Imagine buying 2 DIFFERENT LCDs, EACH with a FIXED height stand, but they SWIVEL LEFT AND RIGHT and THEN you find out they arent VESA compliant either. I use to have the 27" as a TV in the guest room (audio via receiver) since it was big enough to fulfill that duty. I will probably set the HDMI Duplicator/switch up and put the 27 on my workbench instead.

So are you going to have a terribad movie hacker type setup where you have different systems per monitor but can take any of them across all the screens?

If so, remember Blue background with gray/white ASCII(C64) OR Green ASCII(completely predates The Matrix)

Nothing fancy. I'll try to get the laptop using all the monitors, along with the desktop. I do have a new video card on the way as well, thanks to someone.

Back